27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 4:37 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Embeded Stills in PP

Jarliei

I would like to embed a large number of stills into a Video DVD.

would you advise to either (a)  insert the stills together with transitions / effects etc or (b) create an independednt slide show and then embed the slide show into the video?

if (b) is the prefared way to go, what CS5 application would you recomend?

many thanks

• 1. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Go to Automate to Sequence below Project Window on left, click on icon, put in what you want , it will automatically insert transition, probably , dissolve, the numer of frames for the still clips. and say 30 frames for each transition say 100 for the lot ie., one still image,, you could do a 1000 in next to no time.

happy editing.

Sorry, Premiere Pro , put the lot on the timeline, add titles, audio, etc.

• 2. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
            Jarliei Level 1

Bob,

put the lot on the timeline, add titles, audio, etc

would you consider the Timeline the "best" slide show projector?

• 3. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

That all depends on what you're doing, and what you're projecting to. Sometimes when we shoot interviews around our desks, I just leave the timeline running a loop of the animated intro to our program.

• 4. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

Well we have exported 100;'s to Pro tape, High definition, and DVD and Blu-Ray Highh definition ,, works very well.in Premiere Pro . or Premiere Elements

• 5. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                  Jarliei Level 1

what I meant was what in your opinion will be the most visualy atractive way of presenting still photos among video clips when all are embeded in a DVD presentation?

• 6. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                    Jarliei Level 1

Bob, same question as to JaysonM-Y, what is your opinion?

• 7. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

Well we burn a Blu Ray disc for high definition  on  A Sony Full HD 46" Bravia or  via HDMI on Pro tape at 1920  x 1080i the result is broadcast quality, some times better that the transmission ,which let's face it, often contains content rubbish as well as technical abberations >

• 8. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

Yes, his way looks Ok but, we are in PAL land and go full 1920  x1080i or 1800 x whatever the Work on Multiple Files gives you ? You can make it run continually on a Blu-ray & DVD but, really for a private showing nothing beats Export to tape in HDV and connected by HDMI to the TV , projected images lose a lot , you will probably need a large projector and use the hard drive in your lap Top it is just stunning into a HD TV. .

• 9. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                          Jarliei Level 1

Cheers mate, Embeding photos have now became my secondry issue, I need to solve the Importing caper (PP forum Importing  Still photos ) I recomend Hunt http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730233 as a good bedside reading, better still i'll just walk down the corner and have a heart attack.

• 10. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            better still i'll just walk down the corner and have a heart attack.

Now, that is why I drink so much red wine - fighting off those heart attacks...

Hunt

PS - when my wife cannot fall asleep, she asks me how to do something in Photoshop, or PrPro, and I start telling her. She's asleep in no time!

• 11. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                              Jarliei Level 1

I just lie in bed and think pixies.

• 12. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm still laughing.  I missed the post about the heart attack (that was funny!), then the pixies got my attention.

Images of Hunt reading to his wife in bed suggest this needs to be moved to the lounge!

• 13. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, I wondered about that. I feel certain that Jeff will split my comments off...

Hunt

• 14. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

the_wine_snob wrote:

You know, I wondered about that. I feel certain that Jeff will split my comments off...

Hunt

Nah.  You're not too far afield.  Yet.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                      Jarliei Level 1

Great to see a computer screen occasionally flashes with humour and witticism.

• 16. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. After a hard day of trying to solve problems, RoboDog declares "beer-thirty" and we all head to The Lounge.

Hunt

• 17. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                          Jarliei Level 1

Mate,

I have taken a 3.2 mb JPEG image.
                                          Opened it in Photoshop.
                                          Image size is shawn as 2560 x 1960.
                                          Named it, then "Saved As" 3 seperate JPEG at qualities 12, 9 and 6.
                                          Put them all aside.
                                          Then back to the original Image (2560 x 1960)
                                          Now reduced Image size to 1920 x 1440.
                                          Named it, then "Saved As" 3 seperate JPEG at qualities 12, 9 and 6.
                                          Then repeated the exercise slowley reducing the image size to
                                          1850 x 1388;

1133 x 580;

768 x 576.
                                          So now I have 15 (5x3) Jpeg images.
                                          I will then burn them to a DVD and play it on my 16:9 PAL TV set.
                                          This I hope will show me which is the best format to use.
                                          So far so good.
                                          but you have mentioned a format of 1920 x 1080 i.
                                          I can only get 1920 x 1440.
                                          Question.
                                          How do I create the 1080 i  ?

Ta.

• 18. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

It does that automatically to fit  the 16:9  HD format,( it hasn't got to be 1080i , it could be 1800 instead of 1920 to fit exactly between the "SAFE MARGINS" in the monitor window)s when you move the clips into timeline it should fit within the safe margins. If not alter the size or  double click on the clip in the Monitor with the clip open and drag the resize indictors there , if you have a vertical clip you may have to rotate the image sides to suit.

This should work , we do it all the time..

You do realise that you can leave all the images open in Photoshop or Elements, then go to Automate by sequence in Premiere Pro and insert your favourite transition automatically, they should transfer to the timeline automatically but, you will need to place the work area indicators in the correct position otherwise they will not be in order as well as your current timeline indicator. Also, any changes you make to the still images in Photoshop or Premiere Pro will be reflected in the other program.

Now, I know Harm has" taken to drink" but, he has helped me a lot too, so blame him if this does not work, I can assure you it does we handle 1000's on blu-ray and DVD and Pro tape as required, if you come back I may do what he does.

The best of "British" luck as they say, or maybe it is USA or Aussie.?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

• 19. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                              Jarliei Level 1

The best of "British" luck as they say, or maybe it is USA or Aussie.?

Bondi mate, Bondi.

I'll do three samples with the 1800's,

...............if you come back I may do what he does.

get over to the Dudley, it will be my shout.

• 20. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

Ah !  Well i could do with a Tooheys NEW right now

WE may need more than one after this?

This may not work , go to Premiere Pro Forums on Creativecow, worth a look ?     www,creativecow.net

http://http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/906316

Ps. If you have SKYPE which is FREE so is the video link and audio and text and are still having trouble I am on bob.dix1 SKYPE address. I hope the video looks sensational  We use it a lot for tech info in Aussie.

• 21. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                                  Jarliei Level 1

g'donya, we'll chat Mondi headed down the Gong todie, meeting the boats this arvo for some decent seafoos taka; best Mussels harvest in yonks;my shout when you ready; Avagoodweegend.

• 22. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, I tried to use Google-Translator, but there was no setting for "Aussie-speak... "

Guess I'd better pick up a copy of How to Speak Australian in One Week, and do my reading before Dec.! That IS Aussie-speak, isn't it? That book series worked wonders for me, when I picked up How to Speak English Like the British in One Week, so long as I do not encounter a Scotsman, an Irish gentleman, or a Welshman. Since I am from Mississippi, English (even the US version) is not my native language.

Anyway, you lads have a good day!

Hunt

• 23. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

Well Bill,

Jarliel has a very broad Australian accent, even I am having a little trouble, but, I think he is going fishing , and said to all of us"Have a good week-end), I think he must have to rest after our technical replies. I think he must have sampled some of that red wine you were talking about. Cheers !

Regards,

Bob (Aussie)

• 24. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Thank you for that!

To both of you gentlemen - have a good weekend, unless of course it's already something like Wednesday of next week...

Come Dec., I will have to get used to being a few days (or weeks?), ahead of myself. As we usually travel to Europe, I am used to loosing a day on our outbound leg. I am still fighting to make sure that our hotel reservations match up with our arrival in Sydney, which will be something like a week and a half, after we leave SFO. I almost feel that it would be easier on me at least, if we just headed East, until we got to Australia!

Hunt

• 25. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                                          Jarliei Level 1

Hunt,

I think it is easier to master PreProCS5 together with PhotoShop then to translate post 21 above to Queen’s English, I am sure Bob will agree with me, translation tend to lose the “feel” - but let me try, so here we go, Strine (Ausi slang) –v - English.

g'donya - Good on you – good on ya – well done.

We’ll chat Mondi - we shall talk on Monday, or one day next week, or sometimes in the future, or when ever.

Headed down the Gong todie - have gone south (to Bannisters, Rick’s joint) - http://www.bannisterspointlodge.com.au/  Rick Stein ( http://www.rickstein.com/Biography.html )  , is Fair Dinkum (genuine), his blood's worth bottling (he's an excellent, helpful bloke and his takka (food) is Mickey Mouse (is excellent) and this is London to a brick! (Absolute, undisputed, truthful certainty!).

todie – Today.

We - (few members of the NSW Chapter of http://www.chaine-des-rotisseurs.net/fr/   ) together with some of the Chaine affiliated Chefs who came to the festival http://www.cravesydneyfoodfestival.com.au/ , now that the hoolabaloo is finally over,  a group of us went down to the south coast (http://www.southcoast.net.au/   )  to “meet the boats” – this is to say to get fresh sea food straight off the deck before it get shipped to the markets (not a recommended pass time when the Mermaid is lurking nearby, however the Mermaid was Perving on the White Pointers on the beach, watching the Surfies and the Shark biscuits, - never Spat the Dummy and she was apples.

Ok, you have asked for it! –

Mermaid – An inspector of the NSW Fishing Authority, a c**t with scales.

Perve – looking lustfully at the Sheilas (women).

White Pointers on the beach    topless female sunbathers.

Surfies - people who go surfing - usually more often than they go to work.

Shark biscuit - somebody new to surfing.

Spat the dummy: get very upset.

She was Apples – it was great.

Taka – food.

Yonks – years. It looks like that this year will be a bumper year in sea food harvesting.

My shout – my turn to buy the beer.

Avagoodweegend – that’s what life is all about in The Lucky Country (Australia, where else?).

Guess I'd better pick up a copy of How to Speak Australian in One Week, and do my reading before Dec.!

No worries mate, just come down and Bob's your uncle (It will be alright).

That IS Aussie-speak, isn't it? http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/adobeforums/images/emoticons/grin.gifThat book series worked wonders for me, when I picked up How to Speak English Like the British in One Week,

It sounds like that the USA and England are two great Nations divided by a common language.

so long as I do not encounter a Scotsman, an Irish gentleman, or a Welshman. Since I am from Mississippi, English (even the US version) is not my native language.

I would not worry about it if I were you, you see Huckleberry Finn had life all worked out, just  think about it, here he was fishing the Ol’ Man River – while on the other side of the pond (Atlantic ocean) there were the Scots, who kept the Sabbath and everything else they could lay their hands on. Then there were the Welsh, Who prayed on their knees and on their neighbours. Thirdly, there were the Irish, Who never knew what they wanted but were willing to fight for it. Lastly there were the English, Who considered themselves a self-made nation, thus relieving the Almighty of a dreadful responsibility.

Come Dec….etc.

No worries, but remember December is Mid summer, just bring your sunnies (sunglasses) and cosies (swim suit), rather then Sunbaking (sunbath) head straight to the nearest Rubbadedub (a bar in an Ausi hotel, which is not a Hotel but a Boozer (a pub) where you drink Grog (beer)).

And while you are there get stuck into few Schooners (each 425 ml times a number equivalent to “I don’t remember officer” before you Blow in the bag (have a breathalyser test) and give the Bombos (fancy wines) a miss, a wide berth, but what ever you do - Give it a burl (try it, have a go) it will be a Bonzer (great, ripper).

Strewth! This is Good oil (truth) Mate!

• 26. Re: Embeded Stills in PP
                                                            Jarliei Level 1

Mate,

Back home too late, we got too full, now licking the wounds, trouble and strife reckon she is going walkabout, I’ll be o/s in chrisi, otherwise I’ll shout Hunt and march him to the Panthers, reckon it will be something for him to write home about.wadaurekon?

• 27. Re: Embeded Stills in PP

What a masterfull piece of writing, you weren't on "THE GROG" doing that , better let Harm know the technical translation, but, I believe he is at 35,000 feet flying clockwise to Sydney to look at the Opera House not the Panthers Leagues Club, yes I am a member too , but, too far away. This reply sent by Adobe often fails as I sent a short note to you via their e-mail, and it came back like a boomerang