9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 7:09 AM by e20dylan

shatter effect question

e20dylan

Hello so this is my first after effect EFFECT so im kind of slow but learning as fast as i can. Basically i took a still ima

ge then applied shatter to it. made it a video and everything works but the thing is i want the still image to be 6-7  seconds long THEN the shatter effect to take place and ive been through all the shatter settings and im really new to after effects if anyone can help thanks!

basically the shatter effect that im usin is just the default one where the glass breaks or whatever

• 1. Re: shatter effect question
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, if you're new to After Effects, I recommend that you begin here and work your way through all of the materials linked to:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

Regarding the specific question about the Shatter effect, here's an answer from the Shatter effect page of After Effects Help:

"Note: To begin the shattering at a time other than layer time zero, animate the Radius property, not the Strength property. Pieces inside the force sphere defined by the Radius property are pulled outside the frame by gravity even if Strength is set to 0. Use Hold keyframes on the Radius property with the value 0 until the time when you want the shattering to start."

• 2. Re: shatter effect question
            e20dylan Level 1

thank you for the reply i am in the shatter settings now and i see radius but im unsure of what you are talking about when you say hold keyframes?? Ive clicked on every keyframe button under animation at the top and none of them did anything that i can see. im not understanding how to get my image to display for 6 seconds i just read the shatter tutorial and i still dont get it

• 3. Re: shatter effect question
              e20dylan Level 1

so i was messing around with the keyframes and stuff and i was able to make a 20 second long movie with just my image as a still which is what i want but i cant for the life of me figure out how to get the shatter effect started after 6 seconds

• 4. Re: shatter effect question
                e20dylan Level 1

"Note: To begin the shattering at a time other than layer time zero, animate the Radius property, not the Strength property. Pieces inside the force sphere defined by the Radius property are pulled outside the frame by gravity even if Strength is set to 0. Use Hold keyframes on the Radius property with the value 0 until the time when you want the shattering to start.""

what is the radius property ?

• 5. Re: shatter effect question
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

regarding Hold keyframes, see this page:

"Keyframe interpolation"

> what is the radius property ?

If you go to the Shatter effect page that I pointed to, you'll see that that note is for the Radius property in the Force property group in the Shatter effect. Or you could just open the property groups in the effect and see the Radius property.

Please, I strongly recommend that you go through the getting-started materials that I pointed to so that you have a basic understanding of After Effects. This will allow you to answer many of your own questions, and it will make it easier for you to udnerstand the answers given to you by others.

• 6. Re: shatter effect question
                    e20dylan Level 1

Ive read everything and watched every tutorial i can and ive been messing with this for over 3 hours so forums are definately last resort for me. if by radius property you mean the radius setting under FORCE i have messed with that up and down and it doesnt seem like it gives me an option to do anything like timing. ive figured everything out except out how get the shatter timing down

• 7. Re: shatter effect question
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set the radius to 0. Go forward however many seconds you want it to be before it shatters. Set a keyframe. Move forward one frame. Set a keyframe so that the radius covers your whole object.

Alternatively you can split the layer and apply shatter to the second copy.

• 8. Re: shatter effect question
                        bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I can save you some time by just pushing the "report abuse" button for you.

Shatter is one of the more complex effects in AE. It requires a solid working foundation in physics, keyframes, 3D, and something Shatter-heads we call anticipation. That's kind of seeing into the future that comes only with several dozen failed Shatter projects.

Only bricks that are touched by the force sphere can move so it is the radius setting which controls which bricks are allowed to start moving. If the radius is set to 0, no bricks are touched by the sphere and so no bricks move.

But just because a brick has been touched by one of the two spheres doesn't mean it's going to start moving. The sphere ust gives it permission to move. The rest of the physical forces must be set properly to impart their forces onto the bricks.

Complaining about Shatter not working for you won't help. You've got to just keep slogging away at the tutorials and the printed documentation until you start to understand how the dozens of control interact. But you OP states you're new to AE. My suggestion is to forget Shatter until you've learned much more of the basics. Then attack Shatter again in a few weeks. You won't believe how much easier it is to make it work. And, if you watch the Shatter tutorials again, you'll see how the authors talk to the settings to achieve remarkable effects that go far beyond explosions. I use Shatter often. I love it.

bogiesan

• 9. Re: shatter effect question
                          e20dylan Level 1

thank you Szalam  that worked and that was a great answer compared to the other ones. definately understandable and mentions nothing of "if you are new dont try shatter" now my video is perfect thanks.