9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 5:52 PM by Steve Grisetti

PrE 8 Editing Issues

ulua76 Level 1

Aloha all,

I'm trying to put together a DVD video of our Alaska fishing trip, when inputing video clips in, the first few are fine, after that the video is uneditable, meaning the play back is not smooth, the background noise is playing in real time, but the video play back is in slow motione almost like still pictures moving. With the video like this it makes it imposible for me to edit the clips.  Is there a way to fix this?

I'm not at home right now so not sure the full specs of my PC but off the top of my head this is what I have

Dell XPS 720

Quad Core GHZ????

Upgraded to Win 7

6G of RAM

nVidia 8800 Video Card

1TB Raid 0

Thanks

ulua

• 1. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Have you ensured that, when you started your Premiere Elements project, you selected settings that precisely match your camcorder?

• 2. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues
            ulua76 Level 1

Aloha Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I used a Canon Viixia HF M30. I'm a beginner at using any type of editing software, so I did not make any changes to any settings, just left them default as I don't know what I need to change.

Thanks,

ulua

• 3. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues

Start a new project.

On the screen in which you name the project, click on the Settings button.

Select the settings for an AVCHD camcorder using 1440x1080 with stereo audio.

Once your project is open, connect your camcorder to your computer and use Get Media/AVCHD Camcorder to download the video from the camcorder into yoru project.

My free Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com can help get you started. (Part 1 shows you how to set up a movie project.)

Once you've opened your project, press Enter whenever a red line appears above your clips on your timeline to render your clips.

(In version 8, you will need to continually render AVCHD footage as you're working on your project. In version 9, you can edit your AVCHD clips natively and you only need to render when you add effects or transitions to your movie.)

More information, including links to my books on Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements can be found at http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php.

• 4. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues
                ulua76 Level 1

Aloha Steve,

Thanks for the reply and tips, I will check out your training guide. Question, I don't own this camera any more, so I transfered my video clips to my HDD, do I still use the same setting that you mentioned above?

Thanks,

ulua

• 5. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues

It depends on how you got the video to your hard drive.

If you just moved the clips over unchanged from the camcorder's memory to your computer, then you should be okay.

You may not be able to see thumbnails of the video in the Organizer -- but you should still be able to edit the video in Premiere Elements if you've got the project properly set up.

• 6. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues
                    ulua76 Level 1

Aloha Steve,

I connected My cam corder to my PC and opened the folder that my clips was saved in and copied them to my PC. Should that be ok?

Thanks,

ulua

• 7. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues

That should be, if your project is set up correctly. As I said, though, you may not be able to see the video thumbnails in the Organizer.

• 8. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues
                        ulua76 Level 1

Aloha Steve,

Which AVCHD folder do I choose the one under NTSC or the one under PAL and which setting is the one I choose.

thanks,

ulua

Pre8.png

• 9. Re: PrE 8 Editing Issues

According to the specs I found online, you should be using the 1920x1080 AVCHD preset. Whether it's NTSC or PAL depends on whether you're in the USA or Europe. If you're in the USA or Japan, you should use NTSC.

The camcorder can shoot either stereo or 5.1 audio, so choose the project preset that matches the audio set-up you're using. (I believe it shoots stereo by default, but you'll need to confirm that in your specs.)

Make sure you only shoot your video in FXP or MXP mode and, because you are using version 8, do not shoot in 24p mode.