16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 4:44 PM by Jim_Simon

Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder

Aidan Bell Level 1

I have CS5 Master Collection installed, but because I'm running XP x64 I'm having to continue using Premiere CS4. That's all well and good, but is there a way for me to set preferences so that when I export from Premiere CS4 it uses the CS5 Media Encoder rather than the CS4 one which it currently defaults to?

• 1. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
          Harm Millaard Level 7

In general no, that is not possible. You may achieve that by doing extensive registry modification, file renaming, hex adjustments in DLL's and other tricks without the guarantee of success, but that is not an exercise for the faint-of-heart. For me it is way beyond my pay grade, I would not try it.

• 2. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm curious about what differences are there between AME versions that would make you want this?

• 3. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
              Aidan Bell Level 1

I have no idea! Other than the faith in Adobe that if charging a great deal of money for an update they must surely have made some significant improvements!

• 4. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                Jim_Simon Level 8

In Premiere Pro, I'd agree.  But AME comes free with Premiere.  I've not heard Adobe touting any new features for AME.

• 5. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

AME CS5 is 64 bit, CS4 is 32 bit.

• 6. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  I've not heard Adobe touting any new features for AME.

There are several. I'll start a new thread to mention some of those.

But regarding the original question: No.

The closest that you could come would be to render and export a losslessly encoded movie from CS4 and then add that the the Adobe Media Encoder CS5 queue for encoding to your final output format. (I'm not suggesting that you do that; I'm just saying that that is as close as you could get to what you were asking for.)

• 7. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                      Aidan Bell Level 1

Thank to all.

Harm, while PP CS5 won't open on my XP x64 system, AME CS5 does!

Todd, All the more dissapointing, then, that I can't even manualy "choose" to render with AME CS5 when ready to out from PP CS4. But as you say, a full-fat avi or such, later encoded by AME CS5 would seem to be the only option. Shame.

• 8. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't see why you'd find this disappointing--I mean, yes I do, but you're expecting something for nothing. Nowhere does Adobe state that CS5 will work with Windows XP x64, nor is there a suggestion that AME CS5 will work with earlier suite components.

Respectfully, you are the one who paid "a great deal of money for an update" and then are attempting to run it on not only an unsupported operating system, but also a long-dead operating system. I know from your last thread that you see no reason to update to Windows 7, but hopefully now, you are seeing a reason to do so. For the minor upgrade price to get to a more modern operating system, you'd have pretty much everything you're after. If you don't see the value in that, then you just have to accept the limitations that you've forced upon yourself.

Progress is painful sometimes...

• 9. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                          Aidan Bell Level 1

You're implying that by my saying "Shame" I am criticising Adobe. Absolutely not. You are quite right; if I want to run CS5 then I should be using a system which Adobe supports. But I can still say it's a shame. It's a "shame" they don't provide Thai girls and boys to massage my shoulders while I'm working, but I'm not holding them up to blame for that!

May I also draw your attention to the end of the other thread you mention, where I posted saying that indeed I certainly am considering upgrading to 7.

• 10. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

You're implying that by my saying "Shame" I am criticising Adobe. Absolutely not.

That's not my implication at all. As a matter of fact, I encourage criticizing Adobe for things that don't work as they should--most of my own posts are usually in this vein. However, this is not a case of something not working as it should, which is what I was pointing out: you can't be disappointed (or at least you shouldn't) in something that was never said to work in the first place. That was my point.

Anyway, glad you're considering Windows 7. I think that, after an adjustment period (particularly since it appears you skipped Vista--not a bad idea), you'll find Win7 to be a pretty great advancement for the Windows platform. As an added benefit, you'll get to play with all the toys we get to play with

• 11. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I said that I'd start a new thread about new and changed features in AME CS5. Here it is:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/740954

• 12. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                                Aidan Bell Level 1

You aint wrong! My criticism of 7 is actually more of a "fear" than a criticism. I'm a person who likes simple, plain presentation. Through work I have been forced to use an Apple Mac and I do mean, "forced". I can't stand the Orwellian, "we know best" glass-house attitude. I like to open the bonnet occasionally and have a little tinker, Apple Mac won't even tell you where the bonnet is! It's for this reason that I've shied away from 7, due to a lot of people saying that 7 is a very "mac-like" system. But if I can install it, ignore all the media toys (I'd make a dreadful geek, I have no interest in MP3s, movies, games), switch off clever graphics and every piece of automation on the system, then I might be happy!

• 13. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Harm, while PP CS5 won't open on my XP x64 system, AME CS5 does!

I guess that's because AME comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions, whereas Premiere is 64 bit only.  Have you looked to see which one is opening?

• 14. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I like to open the bonnet occasionally and have a little tinker

And yet you say you're not a geek. 

Have no fear, plenty of tinkering can still be done with Win7.  (Though I myself don't really find it very necessary.  I like the new interface, and it really has no noticeable affect on editing performance.)

• 15. Re: Have CS4 use CS5 Media Encoder
                                      Aidan Bell Level 1

Touché!    I guess yes, I'm definitely a geek But I'm a snob who doesn't want to think he's a geek! I've always summed it up by saying that if I'm going to sit in front of a computer for an hour or six I'd much rather be solving a software problem or learning how something works, or else creating (with my Adobe programs), but never playing games or listening to MP3s or watching movies. If that makes me a geek then where do I sign up?!