5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2010 2:51 PM by nealeh

Stereo to mono track? Elements 9

Heitah

Non-Linear softwares like Avid import all sound in mono track form. Adobe doens't, for some reason. Instead it's all in stereo form. I need someone to explain how to change the stereo track into two separate mono tracks. I know this action is possible in Premier Pro via a setting. Elements is not clear on this matter.

I did record a wireless mic, and a camera mic simultaenously at times. I need this sound in mono track form to avoid ambient noise. Otherwise when you lower the track volume it affects both.

• 1. Re: Stereo to mono track? Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That function is not possible in Premiere Elements 9.

You can, of course, mix several audio sources, using the various audio tracks. But the program takes stereo input and outputs it as stereo. You can't turn its stereo into mono.

• 2. Re: Stereo to mono track? Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro makes splitting a 2-channel stream easy, but as Steve points out, PrE does not. The assumption is that all 2-channel streams will be staying in that format.

Now, when I need to split 2-channel (or 6-channel) source material, I just use Adobe Audition. The great freeware program, Audacity, can also split the audio stream, but I cannot step you though that process, as I use Audition, where necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stereo to mono track? Elements 9
              nealeh Level 5

Duplicate the Audio_1 track to Audio_2. Then use 'Fill Right' on Audio_1 (this deletes the existing left-channel sound and duplicates it with the right-channel sound). Then use 'Fill Left' on Audio_2 (this deletes the existing right-channel sound and duplicates it with the left-channel sound). You now have two mono audio tracks, that will give you a mono output.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Stereo to mono track? Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good tip Neale. I had not thought of that workflow. Since one already has a 2-channel stream, there would be no issue. Where one could have an issue, would be going the other direction, as they would only have only a 1-channel stream to begin with, and there is no Fill-Left/Right for a 1-channel stream. One would have to do a mix-down (easy in PrPro with Sub-mixes) first, then work with the resulting 2-channel stream.

Neat!

Hunt

• 5. Re: Stereo to mono track? Elements 9
                  nealeh Level 5

Instead of using one of the 'Fill' effects using 'Swap Channels' on a track copy might do the trick for a single stream (I don't have such a clip so I cannot test).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children