10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 5:49 AM by davidbeisner2010

NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3

kwompus

I'm a bit embarrassed to post this, but have not been successful at finding the answer in a search.

When I am running w/ dual monitors and an NTSC monitor, what do I need to do w/ PPro so it outputs just the video (or program video, if you will) to the NTSC monitor - vs. outputting what you would normally see on the computer monitor.  I assume it is in the ppro set up menu somewhere.

For now I am running CS3 (soon to upgrade to CS5) - I have the GeForce GTX 470 video card and dual monitors.  I just recently purchased a NTSC monitor w/ a HDMI input so I've never had to worry about this, but I've grown tired of burning a DVD only to run up stairs to check color on a television (vs. the computer monitor).  I (incorrectly) assumed the card would support dual montiors and a NTSC monitor (I realize this is now being a hardware question) because it also had an HDMI out.  That being said, I've was able to find some info on this site (which I love btw) and saw that I could add another video card to supply video to a NTSC monitor.....but I still don't know how to limit the source of either card to the video out put of PPro.

Hope that makes sense...any help would be appreciated.

C.

• 1. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 9

What kind of media are you editing?

• 2. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
            Level 4

I'm not sure but I think dv sdi, hd sdi BNC type connectors are more commonly used to output to broadcast quality monitors, breakout boxes, tape decks etc ?

hdmi is kinda new and I haven't read anything where it can take the place of the single or dual hdsdi bnc outputs ( single = 422, double = 444 ) and the newer 3g thing for a single cable to transmit 444 to the monitors ( DIT ).  This is a cool subject I'm interested in too, so whatever you find out please share and I'll also learn what can be done with that stuff...especially as I'm interested in the LUT you can add "in-between"...

• 3. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
              kwompus Level 1

OK easy question, but I'm betting I'm not answering correctly...

video comes off MiniDV tapes injested into pro as .avi files.  Is that what you mean?

• 4. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
                Level 4

yes, thats what Jim was asking. you probably have 720x480 sd ntsc avi type 2 files that you are editing.

your reference to an "ntsc" monitor is sorta confusing me a bit...as that could be a normal tv set ( crt )...is that what you want to output to ? you should be able to do that with composite or s-video outputs from your graphics card...and hdmi to a digital tv.

For some reason I always get confused between composite and component video outputs from graphics cards....but if it has 3 output rca plugs you can use the green one I think and put that into a crt normal ntsc tv and get a signal....I tried once and it actually worked !

• 5. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
                  kwompus Level 1

FYI - I used the term NTSC, but honestly I did not purchase a professional monitor as they start around $1k and rocket up from there.  I did buy a 20" 1080p monitor/TV (yes, now I can watch a little football while I edit).  I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so I'm not sure if the difference in quality would have been worth the extra money.

But I do work at a TV station (not an engineer) and know that they use the AJA card w/ a breakout box to get the video out of FCP to an NTSC monitor here at the station - they days of BNC type connectors are a bit of a thing of the past and they do use HDMI.

BTW, I'll still take any advice on how to get the program video to the new card that I'll need to get as a source for my 'NTSC' monitor - any help would be greatly appreciated.

C.

• 6. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
                    Jim_Simon Level 9
                    I did buy a 20" 1080p monitor/TV

Not the best choice for your media.  Ideally you'd want a standard definition CRT for monitoring DV media.  Newer HDTVs will have to scale the video and deinterlace it, and you don't want that on a production monitor.  You want to see things as they are, not "processed" in any way.

(On a side note, while people and even manufacturers do still erroneously use the term NTSC, these are actually ATSC devices.  What you want is a genuine NTSC TV.)

• 7. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
                      kwompus Level 1

Jim - thank you.

Question - would you feel the same way if I was editing HD video vs. SD video?  Do you have any advice for me on how to set up Pro so it outputs the program video to the monitor?

C.

• 8. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3
                        jimclark1947 Level 1

Since I haven't actually done this, so can't be sure if there is a possible problem, follow at your own risk

Premiere will only recognize 1 graphics card for hardware acceleration, so adding a second card doesn't help on that front.  Having said that, I would expect you could add a lower cost graphics card to run more monitors, which I have done and it works fine.

Now, as far as running the signal to a TV/monitor it follows that if you get a card that supports the type of output you desire to run the TV/monitor then it all takes care of itself from there.

On my 2 monitor setup I undock the playback monitor and drag it to the second screen where I can make it larger for better viewing of detail.  Seems like you should be able to just drag it over to the TV/monitor then when you are ready to watch the playback there instead of on the computer monitor.

Seems straight forward, but perhaps someone who has actually done this will chime in.  There may even be a way to duplicate the playback monitor on multiple screens so you can watch it playing on both the computer monitor and the TV/monitor at the same time??  But I'm guessing that will require an external box to split the output signal to the different destinations.

Hope you get it sorted out.

• 9. Re: NTSC Monitor for Pro CS3