8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 8:45 PM by firetrak

automatically split first 30 seconds from mov

firetrak Level 1

Hi guys this isn't strictly cs5 related, but could be if it can somehow do it.

I have about 500 mov files that i need to extract the first 30 seconds of.

I've prefer to do this automatically as i dont care, what the first 30 seconds contains.

Can cs5 do this automatically or does anyone know of a program i can import them into that'll do it for me?

file is:

854x480 h.264 in an mov container @2000kbps each

i want them to come out as avi's, mov's or mp4's any of those would be fine, even mpeg is ok.

I dont need anything more complicated than that, hopefully someone has an idea.

Thanks guys.

• 1. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Do you mean you need to keep the first 30 seconds, or lose the first 30 seconds and keep the rest?

• 2. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
            firetrak Level 1

keep the first 30 seconds and lose the rest.

• 3. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
              Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, you could do this in Premiere, but I think it would simply involve way too much manual tinkering due to some functional limitations of Premiere at this time. However, you could achieve this with After Effects, assuming you have it in your arsenal.

Check this out:

1. Download the Selected_Comps_Changer.jsx script for After Effects right here. You might want to donate a few bucks to the author while you're there (I'm not the author--I just think you'll find his work helpful in this case ). You can save it anywhere on your computer, but you might just want to drop it in the Scripts folder inside the AE installation folder so you can find it easily. Plus, if it's there, AE will load it into the Scripts menu on startup.
              2. Import all of your clips into AE.
              3. Selects all of the clips and drag to the New Composition button in the Project Panel; in the New Composition from Selection dialog that appears, select the "Multiple Compositions" radio button and hit OK. This will create a new comp for each clip, conveniently named the same as the clip. Unfortunately, they will also all be the same duration as the clips they contain; this is what we'll fix now.
              4. Without deselecting anything (all the comps you just created should be selected, but if not, use whatever means necessary to reselect them; you could start typing "composition" into the Find bar to filter them out, for example), go to File > Scripts > Run Script File (if you downloaded to a location other than suggested above) and find that script, or just select Selected_Comps_Changer.jsx if you put it where suggested.
              5. The script will launch a window that allows you to modify the composition settings for all of the comps simultaneously. One of those fields is Length; for purposes of this script it calculates based on frames and not seconds, so simply multiply 30 (seconds) by whatever your framerate is and enter that value here. So if your clips are NTSC 29.97, for example, just round that to 30 and multiply it by 30 seconds, or 900 frames. Enter that value and hit OK; all of you comps will be adjust to 30 seconds in duration.
              6. Now, since I haven't figured out a way to change the output destination for multiple queued comps all at once, you need to do this little two-step: send just one of your comps to the Render Queue, set the Render Settings, Output module, destination, and file naming scheme as you'd like. Render the file, then clear the comp from the queue. This should set the file destination for all of the remaining comps.
              7. Add all of the comps to the queue, change the Render Settings and Output Module for one of the comps without deselecting anything; this will set those parameters for all queued comps. Then, let the queue go to town; your destination folder should fill up gradually with your new trimmed videos in whatever format you selected.

Seems like a few steps, but it shouldn't take you too long to set it all up--the render will be a different story

• 4. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
                firetrak Level 1

wow what an amazing answer, seriously, i dont feel like doing all those steps cause i'm lazy, but i will solely based on how much time it must have taken you to write that out.

thanks very much.

p,s, yeap i have AE....

where do i get that script from though, was there supposed to be a link?

Thanks

• 5. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

where do i get that script from though, was there supposed to be a link?

Doh Get it here.

It will take you about two minutes to setup, and the amount of time it will save you for 500 exports will be WELL worth it!

Also, if you need it, I can do a screen recording in a couple hours to show you how to do it--you'll see that it's a pretty straightforward process, and only seems to take a long time because I used so many words

• 6. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
                    firetrak Level 1

Hey Colin, you are awesome thanks.

The steps where all pretty easy until i got to the queue part, all the comps are in the queue, and all are selected, but even when selected, if i change say the destination for one, that doesn't change it for all, any ideas there?

• 7. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Just set up one render and let it do its thing. If you've got the others queued, stop the queue, hit Ctrl+A and delete all the queued renders. Then go back and resubmit everything back to the queue; the destination will be the same as the last completed render. I don't quite know why you can't set the destination for all of the queued renders at once; seems weird since you can do the render settings and export module, et al.

Let me see if I can figure out another way, but I think that's what you'll have to do.

• 8. Re: automatically split first 30 seconds from mov
                        firetrak Level 1

Thanks, i figured it out, if you click ctrl whilst selecting the output module and the output to, it sets them as default, so when you import all the comps to the render queue its all set up automatically.

Thanks again for the help, got to say your response has probably been the number 1 response i've ever had to anything on any forum, clear succinct instructions, awesome.