3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 10:52 AM by Iandol

How to rescue a PP5 Project - transcode and relink?

Iandol

Hi, I've been having an awful experience with trying to edit HDSLR footage on a mid-2010 NVidia GT 300M MBP with Premiere Pro 5 - playback stops and starts, and my preview rendering has failed completely, it keeps rendering phantom video files (if there are 34 previews to render, when it gets to 33 out of 34 it then jumps to 34 out of 35 and the end render keeps elusively jumping upwards), and losing the render files on restart. I give up trying to edit natively (Jason Levine, an Adobe evangelist suggests it is possible on a MBP, I foolishly trusted him!!!), and wonder what the best way to transcode the footage I've got on the timeline and relink the Prores transcodes (I can edit HD Prores in FCP like butter, suppose PP5 will be at least competitive)? Thanks in advance for any advice on the optimal solution.

• 1. Re: How to rescue a PP5 Project - transcode and relink?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

How many disk drives are you using with this Mac laptop?  What speed and interface?

• 2. Re: How to rescue a PP5 Project - transcode and relink?
            Iandol Level 1

An external firewire 400, but I was going to try and buy a FW800 RAID[1] to see if it helps (no ESATA interface I'm afraid). I know I can edit HD in FCP using ProRes 422 and a FW400, which was why I asked about the route of transcoding at this late stage of the edit...

(the timeline never has more than two tracks of video footage, and a single line of graphics overlays [with alpha though, saved using a lossless with alpha quicktime animation codec]).

As additional info, I have also tried the "root" user permissions fix, and also moving the scratch and cache directories to different directories/drives to see if it helps (permissions bugs workaround) my utterly broken preview files problem; no joy.

Thanks for your help.

[1] G-TECH (robust) or LaCie (cheaper)!

• 3. Re: How to rescue a PP5 Project - transcode and relink?
              Iandol Level 1

A better external drive interface has not made PP any better to work with. So the question remains: what is the smartest way in PP to take an existing sequence, transcode the files and replace them with the transcodes on the timeline.

My only experience doing this kind of thing is in FCP, where I edited Red One footage with proxies, and used a tool to relink the media with the originals for grading in Color. I'm have no experience of PP before this job, so don't know what the best way to do this is?