9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2010 10:10 AM by TonyzToyz

Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?

F!SCH3R

I'm in the planning phase of my first photo/video editing PC build.  I've done quite a bit of research to this point, and I've finally come to a decision on all of the components (I think).  After seeing how helpful everyone is on this forum, I decided to post my plan and see what everyone thinks.

Miscellaneous info:  I am an amateur photographer looking to expand my horizons and venture into the video realm.  I will be running Windows 7 64bit with Adobe CS5 Production Premium and Lightroom 3 on a singe solid state drive and everything else will be on a 3 drive RAID 0 config.  Eventually I plan on purchasing a RAID card and a few more drives for a RAID 3 (or 5) config, but that won't be for a while.

Ok, here's my planned build...

ComponentDescription
      ProcessorIntel   Core i7 - 950 3.06GHz Quad-Core Processor
      MotherboardASUS   P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
      MemoryCorsair   Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Memory
      System DriveCrucial   RealSSD C300 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
      Data Drive(s)3 - Western   Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal   Hard Drive (Configured in RAID 0 for now)
      Optical DrivePioneer   BDR-205BKS Blu-ray Burner
      Video CardEVGA   GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16   HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
      Power SupplyCorsair   HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified   Modular Active PFC Power Supply
      CaseLIAN   LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
      MonitorNEC   MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor with SpectraViewII   Color Calibration Solution

So, what would you change and why?

I'm looking forward to your responses!

• 1. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to other comments, 24Gig gives about a 30% performance boost over 12Gig

So, if such fits your budget, 4Gig x 6 - read at http://ppbm5.com/

You do not mention CPU cooling... stock Intel, or something else?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

While John is correct that more memory than 12 GB is significant to improve performance, keep in mind that the PPBM5 benchmark test is only about Premiere Pro, not about PS or Lightroom and since you are only starting with video, it may be an alternative to start with 3 x 4 GB sticks (12 total) and have the expansion capabilty for the future, without breaking the bank now.

If you add a good third party CPU cooler, your system looks fine to me, with one remark. You plan to use a 3 disk raid0, which is very fast, but also increases the risk of data loss by a factor three in comparison to a single disk. For that reason and because of the TLER issue, I would suggest either Samsung F3 or WD RE4 disks, instead of the Caviar Black.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
              F!SCH3R Level 1

Thanks for the quick responses John and Harm.  I'll definitely consider the 3 x 4GB RAM config provided that it is not overly expensive.  I thought that the stock CPU cooler would be ok (considering that I'm not planning to over-clock right off the bat), but maybe I need to rethink that - do either of you have any suggestions for a third-party CPU cooler?

As for the RAID setup, I'd really prefer to go straight to 3 or 5, but the added expense of a good RAID card is what is detering me.  Can you suggest a RAID card that would get the job done at a resonable price, for a video novice like myself?

• 4. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I would not skimp on a raid controller. A good one may well last several systems, unless the bus will change dramatically, like PCIe-2 to PCIe-3, but that is not to be expected very soon. You can start with a raid on the mobo and get a good controller later.

Have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3220344?tstart=0#3220344

• 5. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

just do onboard raid 0  (2 drives) for now and use the 3rd drive for back up.

that way you dont have to worrk about redundant raid.

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>third-party CPU cooler?

I do not overclock, but bought a Cooler Master N520 anyway... that particular model 'cause I have a mid-tower case and I needed a cooler that wasn't too tall

If you have a wider case, you could go for a taller cooler if you wanted... I'm happy with the N520

• 7. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                      F!SCH3R Level 1

I'll take your advice and go with Samsung F3s.  With the money I save (by not getting the WD Caviar Blacks), I'll add a 4th drive and use the RAID5 on the mobo until I can afford to upgrade to a proper RAID controller.

I had no idea about the WDTLER limitations, thank you so much for that little tid bit!  You probably saved me a lot of wasted time and effort - I'm so glad I took the time to post my question on this board now.  Thanks again Harm!

• 8. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                        F!SCH3R Level 1

Thanks again for the feedback John!  I'll take a look at the Cooler Master N520 this evening.  I don't think that size will matter (at least that's what I keep telling myself ) since the case that I'm going with is a full tower and I think plenty wide.

• 9. Re: Photo/Video editing PC build; what would you change and why?
                          TonyzToyz

"I'll take your advice and go with Samsung F3s.  With the money I save  (by not getting the WD Caviar Blacks), I'll add a 4th drive and use the  RAID5 on the mobo until I can afford to upgrade to a proper RAID  controller."

I might be a bit late, but wanted to let you know about motherboard software RAID configs (at least mine):

I have an older system running an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium MB containing a Silicon Image 3114 RAID chip. I originally configured a RAID 10 array with four 74 G Raptors for speed and redundancy. Figured if I lost a disc, I could just rebuid the array. Come to find out, the Sil 3114 chip does not support rebuilding the RAID 10 array.

I had lost a disc (disc was okay, just power to the disc was interupted) so was running on three. Fixed my power problem, went to rebuild the array and couldn't. So I figured what is the point of having a RAID 10 that I couldn't rebuild. Went to a RAID 0 with a backup disk.

Never checked the documentation to see if software RAID 5 through the SIl 3114 was rebuildable.

Mind you, I am not a computer guru nor all knowledgable about software/harware based RAID configs. But after talking to others who are the guru's, I found that I should stay away from the motherboard software RAID arrays and they mirror what Harm said about hardware RAID boards. But on a budget, the RAID 0 with a backup drive works for me.

Just my 2 cents to help.

Tony