12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 11:20 PM by mdmoser

Mac App Store

mdmoser Level 1

Will we be able to sell games made with Director through the new Mac App Store? Or will they accept games made with Xcode only?

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

• 1. Re: Mac App Store
          NatFast

If you can distill it from this you may get your answer.

http://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/guidelines.html

It was unclear to me as the binary that Director produces would be difficult for Apple to review, like they do with iOS apps where they get the source code as well. It is pretty murky as we produce apps with the Flash Packager that produces a binary, not Objective-C and makes it hard for them to qualify.

• 2. Re: Mac App Store
            mdmoser Level 1

People are being successful with other tools that are similar to Director:

Unity:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/64453-Mac-App-Store

Real Basic:

http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35965

Playground:

https://developer.playfirst.com/node/2264

• 3. Re: Mac App Store
              Buckybwoy

I have to say, because of technical changes made with Director 11.5, it is NOT possible to add a Director 11.5 application to the Mac Store. Nor an application made with Director MX. In my estimation, Adobe has made a critical change to Director 11 that will prevent ANY developer from publishing a Director 11 application in this way.

I hope there is a solution but it doesn't appear that way. I've tried everything from all-in-one apps, to a stub projector with custom path updating code, to Valentin's stub projector setups. One simple blocker bug exists that STOPS you in your tracks:

As far as I can tell, here is the core reason why Director 11.5 for Mac OS X will prevent you from publishing ANYTHING to the Mac Store:

1. Code signing breaks the Director player, requiring an external .ini file to be created with a [Movies] Movie01=yourfile.dir. You'll immediately get this error after code signing, or using the TrimTheFat that some devs have tried

2. You can setup a .ini file and solve this - but the problem is that this .ini file can only be located OUTSIDE the bundle, whereas in Director MX it was INSIDE the bundle

3. Nowhere INSIDE the bundle works to place the .ini file (I've tried the Contents folder, the MacOS folder, the Resources folder - no luck anywhere)

4. The Mac Store packaging process only accepts a single .app file, so you cannot include the external .ini file, and your app will not work

In other words, you can get this to run, code signed and all:

HelloWorld.app

HelloWorld.ini

But not this:

HelloWorld.app with HelloWorld.ini INSIDE it.

It appears you cannot physically create a SINGLE .app file with code signing AT ALL using Director 11 or 11.5. It just won't work without the external .ini file.

Director MX had this right, the .ini went INSIDE the bundle, but it wasn't Intel compatible and required Rosetta. Built an app that worked just fine in 10.6.6 assuming you accepted the one time Rosetta install. It packaged okay, submitted okay - but was REJECTED by Apple due to Rosetta requirements.

And now, with Director 11.5 everything is Intel compatible, BUT this lame external .ini problem (really?!?!?) breaks it in a new way, which also prevents Director 11 applications from being packaged.

The Apple productbuild command looks like this, BTW:

productbuild \
                  --component build/Release/Sample.app /Applications \
                  --sign "3rd Party Mac Developer Installer: John Appleseed" \
                  --product product_definition.plist Sample.pkg

The productbuild command can build a variety of product types; it provides a number of options that are not appropriate for submissions to the App Store. You should specify a single component, a signature, and (optionally) a product definition file.

Perhaps I'm missing something - either a technique to install the .INI within the .app bundle; or a method to use productbuild to build TWO files not just the .app component come to mind.

Anyone have any solution to this? I'm thinking either some unknown way to modify the Projector to look WITHIN the bundle; or a way to use the productbuild command on more than a single app.

Otherwise, I reckon that Adobe Director 11 for Mac OS X cannot be used to publish Mac Store apps.

• 4. Re: Mac App Store
                robwren

I'm just starting to scratch the surface of this myself, but I have seen a Director app from the app store that has accomplished this.  The way this one was done is to create a "package within a package"  The "outer" package is a single .app file contains in its resources folder:

-- HelloWorld.app  -- the "inner" packaged .app with all the movies and casts

-- HelloWorld.ini    -- as Bucky described, this files contains:   [Movies] Movie01=stub

-- stub.dcr   -- which appears to be the only director file in the "outer" app, and launches the "inner" package HelloWorld.app

The "inner" package HelloWorld.app appears to be a standard, packaged Director projector.

As I said, I'm just getting started with this, but   hopefully this will help shed some light and get some of you started as well.

• 5. Re: Mac App Store
                  Buckybwoy Level 1

Sounds somewhat promising, assuming you can codesign and build this strange app-within-an-app.

I'll do that if it works, so please post if you figure it out!

UPDATE: the bundle-within-a-bundle worked for me. Have submitted some Apps, seemed to work fine but not yet approved. I still think it's incorrect for D 11.5 to look for its .ini OUTSIDE the dang bundle.

• 6. Re: Mac App Store
                    yhardisty

Hey Friends,

Has anyone had success in packaging a Director App for the Mac App Store?

I have a number of software items I am looking to update and release for this channel. But want to make sure they can go in to the store first. Anyone care to share their path to publishing with the Application Loader of the Mac App Store?

• 7. Re: Mac App Store
                      jchunick Level 2

yhardisty wrote:

Hey Friends,

Has anyone had success in packaging a Director App for the Mac App Store?

I have a number of software items I am looking to update and release for this channel. But want to make sure they can go in to the store first. Anyone care to share their path to publishing with the Application Loader of the Mac App Store?

Are you kidding? Did you NOT read the posts above yours?... if not, then re-read.

• 8. Re: Mac App Store
                        yhardisty Level 1

Hey Friends,

I found a solution on the web. Thanks for your time .

@jchunick, A special thanks to you for reminding me why I don't post to forums for helpful information. Real classy response. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week/weekend and share some positive energy with the rest of the world.

• 9. Re: Mac App Store
                          jchunick Level 2

Hey, just pointing out what should be obvious.

However, sorry about it coming across that badly. Didn't mean to drive you away from forums with yet another bad experience, but come on you have to admit it's a bit goofy that you posted to a forum topic asking the same question that had already been answered.

• 10. Re: Mac App Store
                            Sean_Wilson-hpsc1E

..you have to admit it's a bit goofy that you posted to a forum topic asking the same question that had already been answered.

Not only that, but the poster claims to have found a solution and doesn't bother to offer it to the OP or anyone else interested

• 11. Re: Mac App Store
                              brahim_ayi

Hi all,

here is a mail from a director team about the Mac App Store export :

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 20:44:50 +0530
                              Subject: Re: [X-POST] What's happening at GDC

Definitely we will consider this in our feature request. I will also let you know once we decide the time frame.

We will be in Expo today & tomorrow. If you are attending GDC please come to our booth and provide your feedback on the new features.

Regards

Krishnan

so we have just to wait a few...

brahim

• 12. Re: Mac App Store
                                mdmoser Level 1

Maybe now that Director exports as intel only, it will be less difficult to get the apps into the Mac App Store.