2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 3:59 PM by drkstr_1

Flex 4 compilation is extremely slow

Herev

We have a rather big flex project (~900 as files, ~50 mxml files).

The project includes 3 separate modules, and compiles into 1.2 M SWF.

We use 1 embedded font and a small number of embedded images.

Every compilation takes approximately 2 minutes.

Every compilation error appears in the Problems pane 4 times, which makes me think that the compilation is really done several times.

I tried to place the embedded font into a separate CSS/SWF, use ‘-incremental=true’ compiler option, and increase the Java memory limits – all this didn’t change the compilation time.

I use stand alone Flash Builder 4 with SDK 4.01 on Windows 7 machine with 2 CPU and 4G memory.

I’d be very thankful for any help to shorten the compilation time.

• 1. Re: Flex 4 compilation is extremely slow
          Herev Level 1

One addition: as I mentioned, Flash Builder reports every error 4 times. We have 3 modules and the main application. If I remove a module from the project, the error is reported only 3 times. So I believe the project is recompiled once for every module, and because of this the compilation time is so long. Is there a way to optimize the compilation process?

• 2. Re: Flex 4 compilation is extremely slow
            drkstr_1 Level 4

Move your shared code into a Library Project that is referenced by each module. Also, it sounds like you are referring to a full clean? If so, you can specify a specific project in the dialog box instead of the entire workspace. I would say that a commons lib is your best bet though.