8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 2:47 PM by shooternz

Two animatins at once

tarcher395

I am trying to show two animations in the same screen for a presentation. I have downloaded the free version after I have seen and chatted with other users that have suggested using After Effects to achieve this (and will convince my company to purchase it if I can get it to work).

My question is how do I accomplish this??? Is there a plug in or is it as simple as flipping a few switches???

• 1. Re: Two animatins at once
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish.

It sounds like you're just trying to put two movies side by side and export that as a single movie. If that's it, then this is as simple as making a composition that is the size of your final movie, and putting two layers side by side in the composition.

I very strongly recommend that you work your way through the getting started materials here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

Once you've done that, you'll understand what After Effects can do, you'll know the terminology, and you'll be able to ask targeted questions to get your work done.

• 2. Re: Two animatins at once
            tarcher395 Level 1

What I am trying to do is to show a large area (single view or screen).  Then (go to a split screen or two views) show the large area and a close up of a specific area within that large area.  Then back to the large area (single view or screen).   

I have the animations done but am not sure how to make the After Effects program show this in the preview area.

• 3. Re: Two animatins at once
              shooternz Level 6

What you are trying to achieve can easily be done in AEFX (if you are familiar enough with the app

lication) ...but far easier in Premiere Pro or even Premiere Elements.

Basiclly you are doing a split screen or a Picture in Picture effect.  The technique uses Motion and Scale controls.

In all 3 applications:  Scale sizes the clips and Motion moves them  wherever you want on the frame.

• 4. Re: Two animatins at once
                tarcher395 Level 1

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do.  Thank you so much for understanding what I was asking for when I wasn’t using the correct terminology.  Would you happen to know of any links to directions on how to do this????  The wonderful “getting started material” link listed above was of no help other than to push the render button. 

• 5. Re: Two animatins at once
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>The wonderful “getting started material” link listed above was of no help other than to push the render button.

There's a day's worth of reading and viewing beyond that link. Did youa ctually read the overviews or watch the 3-hour introductory video tutorial series? If so, I would think that you would have learned how to make a composition, add a couple of layers to it, and scale and move those layers.

• 6. Re: Two animatins at once
                    tarcher395 Level 1

Most people don’t have an actual day to sit and watch a movie.  And unless I am mistaken, and I know I am not, the three links at the bottom of your page “Keyboard shortcuts”, “Import footage items” and General workflow in After Effects” are of no use what so ever to the information I am requesting. 

All I am trying to do is to ask for some assistance as to produce an animation of a project that my company is working on.  I do not appreciate being talked down to for asking for that assistance.  No I do not claim to know this program (the reason I am posting on this forum) and unless I am mistaken, and again I know that I am not, everyone had to start somewhere to learn this program.  If you are one of the original creators of After Effects, then my apologizes.  If you are not then perhaps you should share your knowledge on a more professional level as opposed to “talking down” to someone that is merely asking for some assistance.

• 7. Re: Two animatins at once
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Most people don’t have an actual day to sit and watch a movie

If you're considering buying and using an expensive piece of software, I would think that you'd want to spend a few hours familiarizing yourself with it.

> And unless I am mistaken, and I know I am not, the three links at the bottom of your page “Keyboard shortcuts”, “Import footage items” and General workflow in After Effects” are of no use what so ever to the information I am requesting. 

I pointed you to this page, which gives an ordered course of pages to read and movies to watch to get started with After Effects:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

You're referring to a set of cross-references at the bottom of one of the pages linked to from that set.

All I am trying to do is to ask for some assistance as to produce an animation of a project that my company is working on.  I do not appreciate being talked down to for asking for that assistance. 

It's not my intent to talk down to you. It's my intent to show you where you can get information to do what you're asking---and to learn how to do much more.

No I do not claim to know this program (the reason I am posting on this forum) and unless I am mistaken, and again I know that I am not, everyone had to start somewhere to learn this program.

Yes, and I am trying to point you to the places where people generally go to learn this program

If you are one of the original creators of After Effects, then my apologizes.  If you are not then perhaps you should share your knowledge on a more professional level as opposed to “talking down” to someone that is merely asking for some assistance.

I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my intent. I am trying to offer you that assistance.

• 8. Re: Two animatins at once
                        shooternz Level 6

Hey tarcher

You dont have the time to learn what you need to know but expect others who have spent years learning it to take up their time explaining it in detail just for you.

The manual and the excellent tutorials are the best way to learn what is a complex instruction set for someone to take the time to write out just for you.

There is no better set of links than what Todd provided for you.

I still suggest Elements or PPRo is better for you because you will get a quicker resoult in an easier applcation to use.