12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 4:26 AM by GrahamGFX

AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty

asavitzk

Using a Canon HG-20.  In the past my workflow has been to take the SD card out of the camera, put it in the MacBook and copy the AVCHD folder onto a firewire drive for editing and archiving.  I have a bunch of folders on the root such as "HG20-dump 09-01-2010" and in there is the entire AVCHD folder/subfolder structure from the camera's hard drive or SD card.

This all worked fine until my latest project and I have no idea what may have changed.  I can still switch the view to File Directory and see all the files that way but of course they're not merged properly - I'm seeing all the individual .mts files which makes editing quite a challenge.

I tried browsing to the original SD card and get the same problem.  I also tried creating a new project but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you not seeing the AVCHD files, the Media Browser? Do they show in Bridge? Do they show in the Mac version of Windows Explorer?

Have you done any OS updates lately, like since you were able to see the files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
            asavitzk Level 1

Correct - I can't see them in the Media Browser window within Premiere Pro

CS5.  If I switch the viewing style to File Directory they show up just

fine.  Likewise, I can see the files in Bridge and the Mac Finder (Mac

version of Explorer).

I haven't done any updates to the OS, Adobe Products, or the camcorder.  I

can still use the Media Browser to see the AVCHD files from other folders I

previously made - it's just these latest ones I'm not having any luck with

and I can't figure out why.

- Alex

• 3. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Is the Media Browser set to AVCHD in the "View As" dropdown, like this:

media-browser.PNG

You're sure you maintained the folder structure (\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM, etc.) correctly?

Finally, did you recently update to 5.0.2? Do you actually have AVCHD sequence prests? There has been a recurring issue where updating Premiere leads to it reverting to a trial state. The only option is to deactivate, uninstall, run the CS5 Cleaner Tool, and then reinstall.

• 4. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                asavitzk Level 1

I'm on 5.0.2 but I'm fairly certain I have been for a while now.  If it

weren't activated/licensed I wouldn't be able to play the clips at all

right?  I can play them, just not see them in AVCHD structure.

The folder structure is exactly as you described.  Also to make sure I

wasn't missing anything I went ahead and read the SD card directly within

the Premiere Media Browser with the same unfortunate results.

- Alex

• 5. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  If it weren't activated/licensed I wouldn't be able to play the clips at all

right?  I can play them, just not see them in AVCHD structure.

Actually, I think H.264/AVCHD is one of the exceptions that actually will import into the program in trial mode, if I'm remembering correctly. One of the Adobe folks posted a list and rationalization of what did and did not work in the trial. A quick way to see if you're in trial is just to try to create a new sequence; you should have a long list of formats and presets if you're in "registered" mode.

Is it only this one offload that you can't browse, or is it all of them, including ones that were previously "browseable"?

• 6. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                    asavitzk Level 1

I have all the presets.  And it's only this offload (though it's really the

2 new ones - one from the hard drive and one from the SD card - neither is

working).  All the others still work fine.

- Alex

• 7. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, this is sounding less like a Premiere issue and more like a file-level issue or--worse--a camera issue. Have you tried to shoot a couple quick shots on a fresh card to see if that works?

What it sounds like to me is that something didn't get copied over quite right from the card, or there is something else on the card that's causing the folder structure to not be recognized. It's also possible that your recording medium (SD card, I'm guessing) is somehow corrupted. There are a number of variables to look at, obviously, but that fact that you can still review older offloads makes me think that there's nothing wrong with Premiere in this instance.

Perhaps compare the folder structure fully with one of your older offloads; that might reveal some discrepencies.

• 8. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                        asavitzk Level 1

Thanks, I'll try a new card as well as compare the folders with working ones

(I started doing that but there are tons of files). I guess on the bright

side the videos themselves are working.

Could you point me to a resource for explaining the whole AVCHD file/folder

structure that would explain what part each of those folders and files

plays?  For example, what makes Premiere Media Browser even offer the AVCHD

viewing style in the first place?

- Alex

• 9. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          Could you point me to a resource for explaining the whole AVCHD file/folder

structure that would explain what part each of those folders and files

plays?  For example, what makes Premiere Media Browser even offer the AVCHD

viewing style in the first place?

I'm not sure what exactly needs to be in place for Premiere to recognize a folder structure as an AVCHD folder structure, but my gut says that it has to be intact as formatted and recorded by the camera. Check the Wikipedia entry on AVCHD for a good description and graphic of the folder structure.

• 10. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                            asavitzk Level 1

Thanks. Pretty sure it's the index.bdm file that is no good. Must be good

enough for the camcorder because it can playback the scenes in-camera no

problem but I guess Premiere Pro CS5 can't read it properly.

iMovie seems able to read it so I'm trying to import them into there and I

guess I'll just move the files over to Premiere Pro afterwards. Annoying

(like this whole situation) but not the end of the world and at least I'm

confident a memory card format will fix the problem when I'm done.

Any chance you or someone else out there knows of a simple utility to

"rebuild" an index.bdm file? Mac or PC - I can use either if necessary but

Mac would be preferred.

- Alex

• 11. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks. Pretty sure it's the index.bdm file that is no good. Must be good

enough for the camcorder because it can playback the scenes in-camera no

problem but I guess Premiere Pro CS5 can't read it properly.

I think you're probably on the right track; I tried taking either or both the INDEX.BDM and the MOVIEOBJ.BDM offline, and then Premiere was not able to interpret the folder structure as AVCHD.

The files are really small, and I was optimistic that they were simply text or XML documents with a fancy extension, but they are binary of some sort and editing those is a little beyond my pay grade

I didn't find a utility that would allow you to edit or repair these files, but I did find a couple suggestions about attempting an in-camera repair with the footage on your SD card. Since it would appear that these files are basically database files, if your camera has a repair feature built-in, it may be able to scan the media and rebuild these indexes/databases. Make sure you've got a backup before you test this, but it may fix things for you... if it does, be sure to post back.

EDIT: I just found BDedit, which actually let me open up the AVCHD folder structure and look at its inner workings. Now, how to actually do anything with this is way beyond me, so I'll let you be the guinea pig

• 12. Re: AVCHD Browsing suddenly empty
                                GrahamGFX

Hi there,

I've got a similar problem. My camera is a Canon Legria HF-S11 (Vixia in USA). I have been using it for a year successfully in Final Cut and most recently Premiere Pro CS5 due to it's ability to work with the native AVCHD files.

My problem is that if I point the media browser (Premiere Pro CS5) to the Canon folder that I copied to my HD in it's entirety, PPro correctly changes the bin filter to interpret as AVCHD but the contents are empty.

If I point the browser to the Canon camera connected via USB the result is the same.

If I go to browse my previous projects archived on my local HD's everything works just fine (automatic detection of AVCHD folder structure and listing of media) which got me thinking that there is a problem with the folder structure on the camera, but as the previous poster found my camera can play all the expected media without problem.

Back in the media browser of PPro CS5 I can deselect the AVCHD interpretation and drill down to the Stream folder to find all the .MTS files and they can all be imported and played fine but my issue is that I have a number of spanned clips due to the 2GB max file size of the camera and these not not play seamlessly when edited together.

I'm on the MAC so don't use the PC only Canon software to view/transcode the footage.

Final Cut Pro v7 can still detect the AVCHD media from this folder including correctly joining the spanned clips so I'm thinking that something has happened in a Adobe software update that has broken things. Maybe PPro changes or adds a file to the AVCHD structure to aid interpretation which might explain why my archive folders from a few months ago are still working in the browser - I'm just guessing here.

I'm considering re-installing Premiere Pro CS5 to see if that helps - I have the same install on both my Mac Pro and MBP and both were up to date with the Adobe Updater.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks