12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2014 4:29 PM by cvid01

Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB

expeditionwest Level 1

I'd like to load a camera into CS5 that only has a USB output.

I do have USB's on my computer, but I was curious. If I buy a USB to IEEE1394 cable, can it be used?

In other words, is USB2.0 the same as IEEE1394? Is IEEE1394 a dying standard with the new generations of USB?

thanks for any info.

expeditionwest

• 1. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know how well any IEEE-1394a to USB will work. The first issue, however, is does your camera have IEEE-1394a out? Is it tape-based?

Likely, the best that you can do is use the USB to Copy over the files to the internal HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
            Colin Brougham Level 6

No, they're different standards.

I'm confused by this... did you mean to say a "computer that only has a USB input?" What sort of camera only has a USB output? A Flip camera or similar?

In that case, there really isn't any interface between CS5 and the camera. You connect the camera to the computer and use the file system explorer to copy files from the camera's storage to your computer's storage.

Details, details, details...

• 3. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
              Harm Millaard Level 7

How do you get that fat camera through a USB cable? It is not like a snake that can devour an animal about triple it's normal diameter.

If I buy a USB to IEEE1394 cable, can it be used?

No way. It is like buying a bathtub and trying to use it in your car.

In other words, is USB2.0 the same as IEEE1394? Is IEEE1394 a dying standard with the new generations of USB?

About as comparable as the above mentioned bathtub and a car. And if you compare IEEE 1394 to a car, is that a dying standard, now that bathtubs change?

USB is OK for slow devices, like mouse, keyboard, backup devices, printers, CF cards, etc. IEEE 1394 is a large step forward and mainly used for fast devices like external disks or tape based cameras for capturing or exporting to tape. But they are about as different as snails (USB) and falcons (IEE1394).

• 4. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                expeditionwest Level 1

Boy, did I goof up that question. That 4 hours of sleep last night has me loopy. Your sharp responses slapped me back to reality.

Sorry guys, here's the real picture.

The camera has two outputs, IEEE1394 and USB (It's a CANON GL2). The desktop computer only has USB. (but duuuude, it's a DELL).

I was just curious to know if a IEEE1394 to USB cable would make it work.

I appreciate the response about the car and the bathtub, but more liken it to building an 8 lane freeway on a 2-lane right-of way. It just ain't gonna work.

expeditionwest (tired and loopy)

• 5. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah. That makes more sense. No, there probably is some cobbled together connector you can buy to do this, but it wouldn't work for video capture, as USB2.0 doesn't have an AVC protocol like 1394 does, so it would have no idea what to do with the incoming data stream.

You can get a PCI/PCIe IEEE1394 card for probably about $25 that will do the job; you can probably find dozens of them at Newegg or similar retailer.

• 7. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                    expeditionwest Level 1

Harm -

Back in the day with PrePro 1.5, I only had a laptop without a IEEE1394 port, even though the instructions said it had one. After calling GATEWAY, they said those were generic instructions, mine didn't come with one. So much for advertising.

Anyway, I did order a PCMCIA card with a IEEE1394 port, it actually had two of them on the card.  I fired up my laptop, hooked up my IEEE1394 to the PCMCIA card and started transferring my CANON tape to the project. Immediately, I was experienceing static drop outs (like tv channel static) every 3 seconds out of 10 seconds of tape. I tried the other port, same thing. I sent the PCMCIA card back, got a different brand. Same thing.

Never did figure out if it was the GATEWAY, the cards or just the fact Pro didn't like that hardware method. I resolved the problem by buying a desktop with IEEE1394 ports.

To this day, I still have the PCMCIA card and still wonder what the transfer problem was.

expeditionwest

• 8. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With your desktop, provided that you have a PCI ___ slot, you can get all sorts of good cards. Some have both IEEE-1394a & 1394b connectors and separate controller chips for the connectors.

One thing that the multiple controller chips will allow is the connection of separate FW devices, which in most other cases a no-no. With most MoBo FW connectors, they feed to a single controller chip.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are running Win7, did you modify the IEEE1394 driver in Device Manager to use the Legacy driver? If not, try that.

• 10. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for adding that. I had not considered the FW driver possibility above. Might just be the call that "fixes" things.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                            capturing video

I am looking through posts to find an answer to a current problem I am having. I wondered if this firewire card would solve the problem I am having. Maybe you can help? I have a dell desktop computer(new within last 3 years). It does not have a firewire port which is what I need to transfer video from my Sony camera into Adobe Premiere Pro. I bought a Firewire-to-USB connector so I can connect my camera into the usb port but it will not capture this way. Do I need to get a firewire card put in my computer?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I am going nuts here!!

April

• 12. Re: Loading my camera into CS5, IEEE1394 to USB
                              cvid01 Level 4

Yes, you need a firewire card for your computer. Firewire to USB doesn't work.