3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 9:56 PM by Wolf Eilers

Canon 60D

iew Level 1

The RAW files from the Canon 60D will not open. I was told I would have to buy CS5 to get them to work. You gotta be kidding, there is going to be a lot of ticked 60D owners. It looks like Adobe is pushing us to use DNG instead of the camera mfrs proprietary RAW.  I don't want to buy CS5, CS4 works just fine and I also don't want to part with $590.

• 1. Re: Canon 60D
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Unfortunately, Adobe's policy has you over a barrel.  Once they release a new version of Photoshop they cease to add new camera support to older versions.

I'm sure they figure "hey, you ponied up to buy a whole new camera, can't you spare $199?" ($199 is the actual cost to upgrade to Photoshop CS5 from Photoshop CS4, not $690).  And they do of course have the free DNG converter you mentioned which gives you access to your files via a two step process.

This is just their way of piggybacking on the rapidly changing digital camera market and I think it's quite shrewd, if a bit irritating to new camera owners.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Canon 60D
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

You can use the free DNG Converter to process 60D images. It may add an extra step to your workflow, but it costs nothing.

• 3. Re: Canon 60D
              Wolf Eilers Level 4

iew wrote:

It looks like Adobe is pushing us to use DNG instead of the camera mfrs proprietary RAW.

Looking from a different perspective the statement above could be reworded as: "It looks like Canon is pushing us to use the camera mfrs proprietary RAW instead of Adobe's open DNG.

Converting CR2 images to DNG will allow you to continue using older versions of Photoshop/Camera Raw.