3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 10:21 AM by kglad

Flash CS5 glitch with setChildIndex and dynamic text fields?

DojiSimms

Having two seperate problems since upgrading to CS5.

I have a movie clip with 5 frames.  When I'm on frame 3 (main game play) and I use the setChildIndex command on an on-screen element that exists on the frame itself, the element in question will now be permenantly added to the stage, and will persist across the remaining frames (end level and end game).  This behavior was not present in the project until I converted it to CS5.  If I remove the setChildIndex command, the on-screen elements stop sorting their depth (as your would expect) and they no longer bleed into the next frame which is for level ending.

I am also having trouble with a dynamic text field.  It's currently set to not be selectable, but when you mouse over the field it shows the cursor symbol for your mouse pointer, and when you click over it, a small block highlight appears on the left or right side of the field.  You can't change the field contents, or even select them, but when you try a small selection black mark appears on the end of the field.  I've destroyed and recreated this field, and the bahavior seems to be staying the same.

Has anyone else experienced either of these issues, or anything similar with CS5?

• 1. Re: Flash CS5 glitch with setChildIndex and dynamic text fields?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

using any actionscript that adds a displayobject to the display list (including setting its index) has always caused that behavior.  that's expected.

to remove that object use removeChild() or removeChildAt().

to disable cursor changes over a textfield, assign the mouseChildren property of the textfield's parent to false.

• 2. Re: Flash CS5 glitch with setChildIndex and dynamic text fields?
            DojiSimms Level 1

You were bang on about the setChildIndex, thanks.  I had never experienced this in flash CS4, but when I tested it, you are correct.

For the textfield, though, I still have a problem.  The parent object is set to 'mouseEnabled=false' and 'mouseChildren=false', and the object itself has its properties set not to allow selection, but I'm still getting the text cursor when I mouse over it.  I can't actually select the text, just click on it and recieve the small black highlight on the side of the field.  When I convert back to CS4, I can't click on the text field at all, but when I convert back to CS5 and click on the text field, I get a small black highlight to side of the text, almost like a highlighted blank space or something similar, but the text field is the only object there.  This behavior stop when I save as CS4, but returns when I convert to CS5.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: Flash CS5 glitch with setChildIndex and dynamic text fields?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are you using a tlf textfield or classic textfield?   if class, is that an input textfield?