6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 7:00 PM by aauld

Export to Premeire then back to AE

aauld Level 1

I'm using the Adobe Dynamic Link, and for the most part, it works well.

I created a time lapse using multiple jpegs in AE.  I want to use the composition in Premeire.  With Dynamic Link, no problem.  The problem is when I want to import the Premiere project to AE for color grading etc.

My workaround was to export the composition to an MPEG2 or H.264 file.  But we all know how much fun that is to work with in Premiere.  Not to mention the compression loss.

How do I go back and forth between apps?

Alan

• 1. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
          canoli99 Level 1

I am very interested in the answer to this as well...

Why isn't DLink working both ways for you? What happens when you try bringing it back into AE?

I've only used it one-way so far - AE to Flash - and it's been great. Never tried the return trip...

if you find a solution will you post it please? And maybe some details on exactly what happens when you try?

Thanks!

-Richard

• 2. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
            aauld Level 1

DLink works from Premiere to AE, or AE to Premiere, but not back and forth.  Somehow,

the compositions/sequences lock up and you end up with a broken link.  It

actually corrupts the original link, so be careful.

• 3. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> DLink works from Premiere to AE, or AE to Premiere, but not back and forth.

That was true for CS4, but it is not true for CS5. Which version are you using?

> How do I go back and forth between apps?

There are several ways. Which one you use depends on the details of your work and, in some cases, the resources of your computer and sizes of assets. For example, you can't use Dynamic Link very effectively on a system with very little RAM, because Dynamic Link requires mutliple applications to be running simultaneously.

For an overview of ways to work between After Effects and Premiere Pro, see this page.

• 4. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
                aauld Level 1

I'm using CS5 and have a Dell workstation with a Zeon processor with 6GB of RAM.  I have a MPE enabled Nvidia card as well.  How much ram do you need to make this work?

Alan

• 5. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> How much ram do you need to make this work?

It depends on what you're doing. If, for example, you're working with digital-cinema frames, then you need at least 4GB per process, plus RAM left over for the OS and other software. I wouldn't try to work on digital cinema frames with Dynamic Link with less than 12GB, and even then it would be slow. But for SD TV you get away with half that or less.

• 6. Re: Export to Premeire then back to AE
                    aauld Level 1

I forgot to mention...I'm using CS5 Production Premium