5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 6:54 AM by injpix

Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?

injpix Level 3

This question isn’t directly related to FlexUnit, but I assume someone can give me advice on this problem or an alternative.  The problem is that I am trying to pass an instance of an object (AIRLoaderRequest) to a mocked object and need this mock object to invoke a method with the AIRLoaderRequest instance to the class (QueueManager) I am testing.

Hopefully the code below will highlight my attempt using Mockolate.

var request_a:AIRLoaderRequest = new AIRLoaderRequest("dummy_uri_a");

var loader:AIRLoader = nice(AIRLoader);
      mock(loader).method("sendRequest").args( instanceOf(AIRLoaderRequest) )
           .calls(function(request:AIRLoaderRequest):void 
           {
                queuemanager.sendNextRequest(request);
           });
      queuemanager.airloader = loader;

queuemanager.queueRequest(request_a);//this will call loader.sendRequest()

The request parameter above is never defined.  I understand that calls() takes a second parameter of an array that will be passed to the anonymous function, but I need something that will return the argument that queuemanager passed to it.

There is a 2-way composition relationship between QueueManager and AIRLoader, so they’re tightly coupled to each other.  At any rate, to clarify, I need a test double to use its argument to invoke a method of the class being tested.

Thanks.  If you need me to explain in more detail let me know, as l am sill learning the basics of unit testing and mocking.

• 1. Re: Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?
          drewbourne

myIP, there is at least two ways to do what you want at the moment.

The first is to use a CallsWithInvocation Answer which will call the given function with an Invocation object containing the name, arguments, and return value.

mock(loader).method("sendRequest").args( instanceOf(AIRLoaderRequest) )
              .answers(new CallsWithInvocationAnswer(function(invocation:Invocation):void {
                  var request:AIRLoaderRequest = invocation.arguments[0] as AIRLoaderRequest;
              }));

The second is to use argument capturing using a Capture instance and the capture argument matcher.

var captured:Capture = new Capture();
          mock(loader).method("sendRequest").args(capture(captured))
              .calls(function():void {
                  var request:AIRLoaderRequest = captured.value as AIRLoaderRequest;
              });

I'll add .callsWithInvocation(fn:Function) and .callsWithArguments(fn:Function) shortcuts to help with this scenario.

• 2. Re: Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?
            injpix Level 3

Drew, thanks for the reply.  Those solutions look awesome!  I'm eager to try them on Monday at work.

And thanks for providing Mockolate, I am sure it will help me tremendously with my unit tests.

• 3. Re: Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?
              drewbourne Level 1

myIP, I've added shortcuts to call a function with the Invocation or arguments to the latest code for Mockolate.

mock(instance).method("example").anyArgs().callsWithInvocation(function(invocation:Invocation):void {
                  // use Invocation 
              });

mock(instance).method("example").anyArgs().callsWithArguments(function(...args):void {
                  // use arguments
              });

HTH

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?
                injpix Level 3

That looks real nice, can't wait to try it!  Thanks.  I just might get a speeding ticket on my way to work tomorrow

• 5. Re: Can a mock method use it’s argument in a callback function?
                  injpix Level 3

I just pulled, build and did a clean(which I had to remove and add the SWC back) in FB.  It works great, thanks again!