2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 9:43 PM by ~graffiti

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a worn out question

apreecot

Hello people! I invariably get this when I try to open any documents: "Adobe reader cannot open...(doc. name...) because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example if it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't decoded)

The majority of times I am trying to open a document from my university course so it is not an email. I am beyond frustrated - I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9.4.3 to no avail. I would be very grateful if someone has any advice regarding this.

• 1. Re: I'm sorry if I'm repeating a worn out question
          pwillener Level 8

The message is really self-explaining; Adobe Reader cannot open the document because it is somehow damaged. Downloads can be damaged, transfers via external media can be damaged; there are many ways an electronic document can get damaged.

Try to obtain an undamaged copy from the source.

If this does not solve your problem, please post more information, i.e. your operating system and Reader version (there is no Reader 9.4.3).

• 2. Re: I'm sorry if I'm repeating a worn out question
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

pwillener wrote:

The message is really self-explaining; Adobe Reader cannot open the document because it is somehow damaged.

OR, it could be that you are trying to open a file that is not a PDF? If you are double clicking a file that is not a PDF and Reader is trying to open it, you need to change your file associations to the proper application for that file type.