4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2010 8:28 AM by Another Photographer

Copy clip from timeline to Project folder

Another Photographer Level 1

I've synced a video clip to an audio clip that was recorded separately, and linked them.  How do I save this combo?  Dragging it back to the project folder only copied the audio track.  Help please!

• 1. Re: Copy clip from timeline to Project folder
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The easiest would be to Export your synced Sequence. If you will be doing additional editing, I would choose a format/CODEC, like Lagarith Lossless or UT. Either will produce excellent files, albeit somewhat large, but that is the nature of lossless Export. That resulting file can then be Imported into other Projects, as is needed.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Copy clip from timeline to Project folder
            Colin Brougham Level 6

You can't do exactly what you're after, but a fairly simple workaround is to use a separate sequence to sync the video and audio together, and then use that sequence as if it were a video clip in the final sequence. This way, you're not creating any new media, you can change the source as necessary, and there isn't any significant time increase in setting up that sequence.

• 3. Re: Copy clip from timeline to Project folder
              Another Photographer Level 1

Colin,

I stumbled upon this solution late last night by "nesting" the clips into a sequence.  Is that what you are referring to or is there a different way to create a sequence?

Once I have a sequence that consists of 4 video and one audio clip, how do I splice it and dice so that I use only portions of it where needed (the same way I would as if the sequence were a clip)?  Remember that only one video clip can be linked to the audio clip (right?).

• 4. Re: Copy clip from timeline to Project folder
                Colin Brougham Level 6

That's correct: nesting is the "official" term for it. You can either pre-build your sequences, and then drop them into your final sequences like clips, or you can drop your constituent clips into the final sequence, select them, and then use the Nest command. The final result is the same, but if I'm doing something like you're doing, I'll typically use the former approach; I don't like how Premiere defaults to calling any sequence created through the Nest command something like "Nested Sequence 34." I'm a little too AR to deal with that If I prebuild my sync sequences, I can name them as I see fit and it's much easier to track the footage. You can even drop one of your clips on the New Item icon and have a sequence created that matches its settings and is named the same as the original clip. There are several ways to skin the proverbial cat here.

Once I have a sequence that consists of 4 video and one audio clip, how do I splice it and dice so that I use only portions of it where needed (the same way I would as if the sequence were a clip)?  Remember that only one video clip can be linked to the audio clip (right?).

You can either drop it into your destination sequence and trim it up there, or if you hold down the Control key, if you double-click one of your sequences it will load up in the Source Monitor like a clip. You can also just drag the sequence item to the Source Monitor. From there, edit it into your final sequence as any other clip.