9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 6:19 PM by Stan Jones

Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...

agent42b Level 1

Hi there -

FCP editor here who is loving the new PPro CS5 and is trying to convince my studio to do our next show on it.

I'm having trouble with one particular audio situation and so far all the help documents I've read aren't giving me an answer:

I'm trying to export a quicktime file with multiple audio tracks. For example: track 1 is a stereo track with all the camera audio, while track 2 is a stereo track with Music & effects. This would create a similar situation of a TV show dumped to tape with channels 1&2 program audio, and channel 3&4 Music and Effects.

My assumed path would be to create 2 submixes: 1 "camera" and 2 "music & Effects." I was then hoping to export a quicktime with each sub mix as a separate audio track inside the exported quicktime. Is this correct?

Can anyone help an old man out?

• 1. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't believe what you want is directly doable from Premiere.  To the best of my knowledge, your export options for audio are mono, stereo and 5.1   You're looking for two sets of stereo tracks.  They would have to be exported separately, and then combined somehow outside of Premiere.

• 2. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
            agent42b Level 1

Thanks Jim.

This is very, very sad that Premiere is not capable of this.  I am baffled how they missed that increadibly important feature.  Where do I submit my feature request ?

• 4. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you export with one track and add the second in QTPro or compressor?

I did not see the options in Adobe Media Exporter, but I don't have the right files handy to test it.  Audio options only appear as appropriate to the type, but I also suspect it is not a direct option.

• 5. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
                agent42b Level 1

I've spent half the day trying to figure it out -- and alas I don't think it's possible.

I am baffled how you're supposed to channel map sounds to a tape now.  Usually a broadcaster wants program audio on tracks 1&2, music/effects on channels 3&4.  In FCP you can map audio tracks to channels, which carries over onto the tape or quicktime files.  I'm confused how to achieve this now with Premiere CS5. 

• 6. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I am baffled how they missed that increadibly important feature.

Premiere has never been able to capture the four tracks possible with 12 bit DV audio either.  Somehow this one just slipped through Adobe's fingers.  My best guess as to why is that there simply weren't enough people needing such capability for Adobe to add it to their list as a priority.

Just out of curiosity, what is your objection to doing the mix inside Premiere, exporting out a single stereo pair?

• 7. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...

Do a search for Quicktime multitrack audio, and you'll find numerous hits on broadcast or review situations where they want different functions split.

Todd Kopriva (I use his full name as a sort of incantation so he will appear), any more history on this?  Does After Effects provide any more support for QT multi-audio-track export?  Or are we just missing the function in the export?

• 8. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...
                      agent42b Level 1

Thanks so much for helping with this.  I can only hope that Todd sees it also.

I have submitted a feature request.  Regardless, the ability to map tracks to channels, and the ability to create quicktime files with multiple audio tracks is definitely something that should be possible.

If you're wondering more about the applied use:  Besides being able to map tracks to an audio channel for tape, the most important time when this is used is this: At the end of a TV show it's customary for us to export a final quicktime with program audio and music separated:  2 audio tracks in one quicktime.  If we want director commentary, that also becomes another audio track inside the quicktime.  A "track" can be stereo or mono.

It creates a single quicktime file where all audio elements are separated, allowing us to distribute a single file to multiple departments who may have unique editing/sound requirements.  Simplifies things a lot.

As it stands now, we would have to take the quicktime/audio elements back into Final Cut Pro or AVID to achieve this.  (Unless someone else knows a way to do in Premiere - I'm all ears).

• 9. Re: Audio question for you Premiere Pro vets...

As it stands now, we would have to take the quicktime/audio elements back into Final Cut Pro or AVID to achieve this.  (Unless someone else knows a way to do in Premiere - I'm all ears).

One link suggested it might be possible simply in QTpro.  Perhaps compressor.  Not what you're looking for I know.