7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 6:02 AM by Andrew Yoole

Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k

l1o1t1r1 Level 1

How To Set Up AE CS5 To Work With 1.85:1 film 4k (pixels)

John

• 1. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's a rather broad question.

Are you asking about composition settings? Color depth? Other project settings? Color management settings? Memory preferences? Panels and workspaces? What are the details of your computer? How will you be receiving the files? How will you be delivering the files? What are you doing to the footage in After Effects?

• 2. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
            l1o1t1r1 Level 1

OK - I went and open AE CS5 and it says several options so I picked new composition
            here is a screen grab.

New Composition.JPG

And that took me to Compostion Settings where  I could not find 1.85:1 4k - There is one called 4k but after chosing it it appears to be acadmey 4k (I thnik 4:3 ratio)
            Here's a screen grab

Composition Settings.jpg

I opened photoshop cs5 to start a background that has to be 1.85:1 ratio 4k. And photoshop did not have the setting  for 1.85:1 4k. Then I said to myself ah that should be in AE CS% so I opened it and no 1.85:1 4k. So after seeing that AE CS5 did not have a pre-set for 1.85:1 4k I said you know I better find out how to set that comp up in After Effects cs5. Once I set up the comp in ae cs5 I want to bring the background from photoshop cs5 into ae cs5.
            So I would like to get ae cs5 this far - that is create a comp setting for 1.85:1 4k.

• 3. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So I would like to get ae cs5 this far - that is create a comp setting for 1.85:1 4k.

If there's no composition settings preset for what you want to make, then just choose Custom and set the Width and Height values in the Composition Settings dialog box to the width and height of the frames that you'll be work with.

• 4. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
                l1o1t1r1 Level 1

Thank You  very much.

BTW do you know which is the prefered pixels for 1.85:1 4k. The refs seem to vary quite abit

Celco has this

resolution table.JPG

and another ref has this

Digital Film Standards1.jpg

Celco gives super 1.85, standard 1.85 (offset 1), standard 1.85 (offset 5)

the other gives

Digital Cinema 4k

Kinda confusing to me.

• 5. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Kinda confusing to me.

Ask whoever you're delivering the movie to what format and settings they expect from you, and go with that.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
                    l1o1t1r1 Level 1

Thank You again

• 7. Re: Set Up AE CS5 for 1.85:1 film 4k
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's no specific standard.  As Todd says, always verify with the transfer company what their required file specs are.