7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 8:33 AM by fsmodica

Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements

Meomoto

Hi all,

I just spent $110 to buy Adobe Premiere Elements 9.  I installed it to my Dell Vostro 1520 Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz, running Windows 7 Pro.

I have a few small (5-10 seconds each) Flip video .AVI files (standard definition) to use for learning.

To learn, I brought the little .AVI files into Adobe Organizer, and can now double-click on each thumbnail and see the video play clearly, no problem, in the Organizer preview window.  All well and good!

Next I created a new Project in Premier Elements, and used the Add Media button to reference the same little .AVI files.  But when I attempt to preview them in Premier Elements by double-clicking on a thumbnail, I instead see a green/teal-colored rectangle where the video should show in the preview window, although I can hear the audio fine.

Can anybody help me?  Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Meomoto

• 1. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime (downloaded from Apple) and that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card (downloaded from the ATI or nVidia site)?

When you started your project in Premiere Elements, did you go to Settings and select the proper settings for Flip video?

• 2. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
            Meomoto Level 1

Steve --

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry I didn't answer sooner; this was my first post at this forum and your reply ended up in my junk folder.  Now I've added this forum to my whitelist.

Yes, I did set my Project Pre-setting to Flip video Ultra, 30 frames/sec.

But why do I need Apple's QuickTime?  I'm using a Dell machine running Windows 7.  The machine is pretty new, only about 7 months old.  And my problem wasn't sound.  The sound of the .AVI files comes through fine.  It's the video that's not showing in Premiere Elements.    (Actually I see a thin line, about a pixel or two thick, at the bottom of the preview window, and I can see a tiny bit of video, or something moving.)

However, the video DOES play well in my Premiere Elements 9 Organizer.  So if it was my drivers for my graphics chip/card, why can I see the video so plainly in my Premiere Elements Organizer?

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Meomoto

• 3. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All PC-based video editing uses Quicktime to some extent. It's vital that you keep it updated.

Likewise, if your graphic card drivers are outdated, you can also get strange behavior or your clips won't look right.

• 4. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
                Don the Patriot-tfCSVT

Isn't the Flip Video Ultra a HD camera? The OP in his first post mentioned SD.

Edited to correct:

My mistake. The original Flip Video Ultra's were SD. On the Flip Video Website their new Flip Video Ultra is a HD.

• 5. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
                  Meomoto Level 1

Steve --

I have Windows Live Movie Maker.  It offers many of the same features as Adobe Premiere Elements 9, but not all of them.  For example Premiere Elements 9 offers Picture-in-Picture, nicer titling features, etc., etc.  That's why I've just shelled out $110 to buy Premiere Elements 9 (whereas Windows Live Movie Maker is totally free if you have Windows 7 Pro).

Windows Live Movie Maker is a PC-based video editing program, and it does not require and does not use use Apple Quicktime.

So I don't understand why you say Quicktime is a necessity.

But I do appreciate your reply and your thoughts.

I'm still looking for someone who has successfully used Adobe Premiere Elements 9 to edit Flip Ultra (standard definition) .AVI files.

Thanks.

Meomoto

• 6. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
                    nealeh Level 5

Meomoto wrote:

So I don't understand why you say Quicktime is a necessity.

Because PRE does not function correctly without it. If you search these forums you will see many cases where posters with problems have been advised to update QuickTime and have reported back that it solved their problems.

As you are a fan of Movie Maker Live, you will find that the earlier version Windows Movie Maker 2.6 gives you more functionality (it works in XP, Vista and W7 - 32 & 64bit versions).

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Small Flip video AVI files - can preview in Organizer but not Elements
                      fsmodica

I just downloaded the trial version and am having a similar problem.  Video works correctly in Organizer, but not while editing.  I get audio but the video is a white screen.  When I click the white screen the video stops and I get a still picture, but when I click play it's back to audio and no video.  I've tried MPEG2 files and an AVI that I imported from my DV camera using Premiere Elements.  I updated Quicktime and my video drivers and still get the same result.  I have tried trial versions of Pinnacle, Video Studio, Nero and PowerDirector and have had no similar problem.