3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2007 2:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

phAKT Conversion Support

Level 7
      Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here, I've been out of the
      Dreamweaver sphere for some time, after being a long time Dreamweaver user.
      I've used multiple versions of InterAKT's phAKT PHP ADODB model, and it's
      always served me well.
      InterAKT was aquired by Adobe some time ago, end they ceased selling some
      extension, however the phAKT servermodel was still available for download.
      It seems that the download has been pulled, and *some* of the former
      products are now available as the "Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox".

But the PHP ADODB Severmodel does not seem to be available anymore, and it
      would seem that a lot of developers who had used phAKT would have to rewrite
      their code.

Will adobe support PHP ADODB for CS3?

I'm would like to know your opinions on the following:
      -did you use phAKT, and if so why
      -would you like to see continued support for phAKT sites in Dreamweaver
      -would you like to see an extension to convert your phAKT code to the
      PHPMySQL Servermodel

regards
      Joris van Lier

• 1. Re: phAKT Conversion Support
          Level 7
          Joris van Lier wrote:
          > Will adobe support PHP ADODB for CS3?

Only Adobe can provide the official answer to that, but since you have
          already posted a question earlier today in the former InterAKT PHAkt
          forum, you should already know that it's a discontinued product, and
          that no support has been available since 17 May.

> I'm would like to know your opinions on the following:
          > -did you use phAKT, and if so why

No, I didn't. I either use the Dreamweaver PHP/MySQL server model or
          hand-code my own scripts.

> -would you like to see continued support for phAKT sites in Dreamweaver

Since I never used PHAkt, it's not relevant to me, although I can see it
          would be of importance to anyone who did use PHAkt in the past.

> -would you like to see an extension to convert your phAKT code to the
          > PHPMySQL Servermodel

Again, not relevant to my situation.

Since I never used PHAkt, its disappearance makes no difference to me.
          However, I would definitely like to see improvements in the PHP (and
          other server-side) support offered in Dreamweaver. I have submitted a
          number of enhancement requests to the development team. I suggest that
          you and others do the same. Tell the team directly what you want to see.
          If sufficient numbers of people make their views felt, it could affect
          the future direction of Dreamweaver PHP support. Since Adobe has already
          discontinued PHAkt, a campaign to bring it back is unlikely to work; but
          positive suggestions for improved features could have an influence.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
          Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: phAKT Conversion Support
            Level 7

"David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
            news:f8349q$f80$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Joris van Lier wrote:
            >> Will adobe support PHP ADODB for CS3?
            >
            > Only Adobe can provide the official answer to that, but since you have
            > already posted a question earlier today in the former InterAKT PHAkt
            > forum, you should already know that it's a discontinued product, and that
            > no support has been available since 17 May.

I know that, but hoped it might be re-released in some other form, I'll try
            co contact adobe about that.

>> I'm would like to know your opinions on the following:
            >> -did you use phAKT, and if so why
            >
            > No, I didn't. I either use the Dreamweaver PHP/MySQL server model or
            > hand-code my own scripts.

You can probably guess I did use it, and I handcoded quite a lot of
            functionality on top of it, I liked the similarity between the phakt and the
            ASP way of handling recordsets, plus the support for several databases and
            the ability to create your own recordset driver.

>> -would you like to see continued support for phAKT sites in Dreamweaver
            >
            > Since I never used PHAkt, it's not relevant to me, although I can see it
            > would be of importance to anyone who did use PHAkt in the past.

Dreamweaver was

>> -would you like to see an extension to convert your phAKT code to the
            >> PHPMySQL Servermodel
            >
            > Again, not relevant to my situation.

I have some experience in creating dreamweaver extensions, especially with
            Serverbehaviors and DataSources,
            if I remember correctly InterAKT used to have an XML migration engine that
            could use the data in the edml files to find old instances of server
            behaviors and replace them with new ones, it wasn't prefect but it went a
            long way.

> Since I never used PHAkt, its disappearance makes no difference to me.
            > However, I would definitely like to see improvements in the PHP (and other
            > server-side) support offered in Dreamweaver. I have submitted a number of
            > enhancement requests to the development team. I suggest that you and
            > others do the same. Tell the team directly what you want to see. If
            > sufficient numbers of people make their views felt, it could affect the
            > future direction of Dreamweaver PHP support. Since Adobe has already
            > discontinued PHAkt, a campaign to bring it back is unlikely to work; but
            > positive suggestions for improved features could have an influence.
            >

I'm not trying to get some sort of campaign going, just curious if other
            former phakt users feel uhm... "phakt" ; )

And I DO have a suggestion:

PhAKT was promoted as open-source, I believe it was distributed under the
            LGPL licence,
            I'm not a licencing expert but adobe might release the source to the public,
            there even seems to be a project at http://freshmeat.net/projects/phakt/ but
            it doesn't seem up-to date
            or just post the extension to the exchange without support.

regards
            Joris van Lier

• 3. Re: phAKT Conversion Support
              Level 7
              Joris van Lier wrote:
              > I'm not trying to get some sort of campaign going, just curious if other
              > former phakt users feel uhm... "phakt" ; )

I'm sure a lot of them do feel that way, but it's quite common for
              coding projects to fade away or be dropped. There are a lot of branches
              of PHP that are no longer supported, either because the lead developer
              has moved onto other things, or because they didn't attract sufficient
              interest from users. I don't know how large a user base PHAkt had, but
              it looks as though Adobe has taken a commercial decision that it wasn't
              large enough to continue devoting effort to.

> PhAKT was promoted as open-source, I believe it was distributed under
              > the LGPL licence,
              > I'm not a licencing expert but adobe might release the source to the
              > public

Adobe is very positive towards open source, so, if there aren't any
              licensing problems, it might be receptive to such an idea. Best of luck
              to you.

--
              David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
              Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
              http://foundationphp.com/