2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 12:21 PM by AquaRegia35

Error message from a BAD PDF

AquaRegia35

I am using Adobe Reader to render PDF documents as a part of a process and then convert it into TIFF. Some of the documents that come in are corrupt PDF documents and cannot render itself in the reader and hence cannot be converted. This is the error that the reader throws:

ADobe reader could not open "test.PDF" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged(for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)

Now, the process is automated with no human intervention. with the advent of this error message, since there is a modal dialog box waiting for a response from the user, the process is interrupted and needs human intervention.

My question is simply this. Is there an API i could use where i can figure out beforehand if the PDF is bad so i can reject such files early on? research shows that using the adobe forms server which has the PDF utility services, there is a query "Is a PDF document" that is available. I do not want to use a server product.

Is there any other ADOBE product that exposes something similar?