5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 4:49 PM by Ned Murphy

Can I make a movieclip's background transparent?

Kumidan Level 1

On the stage I have a movieclip with an animation inside it, at the moment I've given to its background the same color of the stage to simulate a transparence.

Now I've added some decorations to the bottom left corner of the stage and this movieclip lays a bit over the decoration showing that in truth the movieclip is not transparent because it covers part of the decoration.

Is there a way to make the movieclip background really transparent?
      I've checked where I apply colors to elements, but there is not a "transparent" option, or at least I havent seen it.

I'm using Flash CS5 and AS3.

• 1. Re: Can I make a movieclip's background transparent?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it is a movieclip, you do not need a background, so to make the background transparent just remove it altogether.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I make a movieclip's background transparent?
            Kumidan Level 1

Thanks, I'm half way to the solution.

I've removed the movieclip's background and it is transparent now, but I've realized that is not enough.

For a website I use a movieclip as pages' container where I load the various pages (using addChild).

I've made the pages transparent as you suggested me, but I also need to make the pages' container transparent.

Following your suggestion I've removed its background... it is transparent now, but it affect the pages I load inside it.

Pages' animations result messed up.

In example in one animation I have 3 images which appear at the center of the movieclip and then move to another position, instead as I removed the container background the the images enter on the stage from the right, appear stretched vertically and have other strange effects. Probably is the whole page to be added to the container in a bad way.

If I put the container background back the animations are correctly shown again.

Why this behaviour?

• 3. Re: Can I make a movieclip's background transparent?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I cannot answer why, but it may be that the background defines some of the placement and sizing parameters for the pieces.  I can suggest you try something to keep the background invisible though.  There are two ways you could do this (at least).

1) If you would like to see the background while editing the file, then convert it into a movieclip (if it is not already one), assign it an instance name (say you name it "bg"), and assign its alpha property to be 0 (bg,alpha = 0;   (that is AS3)).

2) If you don't need to see it while editing, then you can just select the nackground and edit its fill color alpha to be 0 via the color palette.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I make a movieclip's background transparent?
                Kumidan Level 1

Thanks, I've used the first solution, it's perfect