10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 10:38 AM by pauland

Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...

RUSH-ME Level 3

Hi folks

please read this funny Flex vs. HTML5

http://rushmeflex.blogspot.com/2010/10/funny-aspects-of-html5-vs-flexflash.html

If you like it don't forget to add your thoughts and share.

Rush-me

• 1. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
          Devtron Level 3

be careful mentioning HTML5 on here. it is a sore subject

I am very interested in this topic. I work on both ends of the spectrum (10+ years of Micro$oft) and 3+ months of FLEX 4.

I hear plenty of Microsoft people who are not afraid to talk about this, but I find very few FLEX/Adobe folks who will go into detail about it. I hear Safari even semi-supports HTML5, so apparently Apple is making headway in the HTML5 direction? I am suprised nobody on here will even want to discuss that.

Interesting enough, I attend the FLEX User group meetings here in my city and apparently this subject was discussed before I started attending. I didnt get any info out of that, except that I found out they were discussing it! Which gives me some hope.

I have heard all types of things. I have heard that Microsoft would own Adobe if the Federal Anti Trust laws did not restrict them from purchasing Adobe. This gives me a feeling of "underdog" status when working in FLEX. I kind of like it but it also scares me that this is a bad career choice.

I am very curious as to feedback from other people in the Adobe community. If you search for "HTML5" in all the forums, you get VERY little feedback, and I think that is quite shocking.

Your blog goes into great detail about non-Adobe supporters and how they predict the doomsday for FLASH (exact date), etc. But what your blog does not cover is the very few pro-Adobe people who will even DISCUSS the matter of HTML5 and its implications. I find it VERY shocking that there is so little feedback from this side of the pond.

• 2. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
            RUSH-ME Level 3

Hi Devtron

Yes I have not discussed moch about implication of HTML5.

If fact I wanted to mention that how crazily people fall into the wrong gossip.

Thanks for comment.

Rush-me

• 3. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
              pauland Level 4

It's a Flex group not an HTML5 group. We know about HTML5, it's not hard to find out about it, but it won't make Flex obsolete and it's not universally adopted yet. Developers can choose to use the technology that suits their situation. Sometimes it will be Flex, sometimes it won't.

• 4. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                Devtron Level 3

@pauland: How do you know HTML5 will not make FLEX obsolete? Do you have any facts to back that up with? I am curious because I have not read anything factual, anywhere about this. I know HTML5 is not a reality at the moment, but it is heavily under way and is expected to be recommended as the HTML standard in 2 years.

From my understanding, Mozilla and Apple and Google already support HTML5 in some way, shape or form. How is that not a threat to FLEX?

If HTML5 allows video and graphic rendering, who would want to be required to use FlashPlayer11+? Maybe there is some value in FLEX over HTML5, but I dont see it?? Any feedback or input is greatly appreciated...

• 5. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                  suludi81 Level 1

From what i know,it will be much more than 2 years that HTML5 will become standard.But that is not the point,the point is that in those few years both Flex and Silverlight will evolve,and will be capable(i hope so) of thinks that HTML5 can only imagine.

Let's be honest, HTML5 doesn't offer anything new compared to Flex,and if speed is an issue(and it is) then JavaScript code which is compiled by the browser

is much slower than already compiled Flex code

Surely it will take some of the video streaming space(youtube,etc),but i don' think it will have much to say in creating real bussiness and interactive/dynamic applications.

Have you ever tried to create a simple effect or animation in Ajax,now compare it to Flex/Silverlight and you will know what i mean.

Mirko

• 6. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                    pauland Level 4

My crystal ball sees that The Flex capabilities are already far greater than the proposed standard and many of the things that make HTML5 appealing aren't so relevant to the environments where Flex is appealing corporate applications deployed on high bandwidth infrastructure.

There is a lot more to Flash than playing video.

Of course some people may jump ship, but who knows what Flex or Flash will be like in two years time.

Currently there are applications where Flex is useless - low bandwidth and low memory footprints with lower power processors - so use something else.

Developers use the tools that fit and while Flex is highly adaptable, it isn't the solution to everything and neither is HTML5.

Don't waste your time arguing about HTML 5 and Flex. Learn both.

• 7. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                      RUSH-ME Level 3

Hi All

Yes Flex is far ahead of HTML5. However the way hype created about HTML5 is my concern. In only one way HTML5 can doom Flex if Adobe will stop innovating things for Flex and Flash.

I have my finger crossed for Adobe....

Rush-me

• 9. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                        Devtron Level 3

^ Hey that's pretty cool. But at the same time, it still requires a browser plugin to make it work.

HTML5 will be a standard platform for the interwebs. FLEX/Flash is still completely dependent on a browser plugin. Those are two very different things.

I think with the release of HTML5 there will be less dependency on browser plugins for doing multimedia work. That's just my assumption though, as nobody has any real solid evidence on either side of the pond the implications it will have.

BTW, I am real happy to see people finally responding to this subject (HTML5) and how it will affect us in the future. I really hate hearing answers like "thats 2 years away, why worry about it now?". Well if you said that for Windows 98, you wouldnt have ever graduated to XP. Many things can happen in 2 years, so to blow it off likes it no big deal is just, well, embarassing.

• 10. Re: Those who loves Adobe, Flash, Flex...
                          pauland Level 4

Devtron wrote:

^ Hey that's pretty cool. But at the same time, it still requires a browser plugin to make it work.

Yes, it's been a big barrier to Flash developers so far..

Many things can happen in 2 years, so to blow it off likes it no big deal is just, well, embarassing.

Perhaps not as embarassing as people going on about the death of flash because the HTML5 bogeyman is in sight.

Even when HTML5 is here, it won't do what flash/Flex does and installing a Flash plugin isn't a big deal - almost everyone not using an ithingammy already has it.

HTML5? no sweat. Learn to use it, carry on with Flash/Flex. Go with the clients preference or choose your technology to fit the situation. What is the fuss about?