7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 8:01 AM by MadManChan2000

Pentax K-5

cosimossim

Cannot open PEF files and I am forced to use DNG. Looks like we have gone back in time with no support. Please add Pentax K-5 support asap.

• 1. Re: Pentax K-5
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

You can shoot DNG format in-camera. The image data is the same ...

• 2. Re: Pentax K-5
            Oodini Level 1

No. The Pentax DNG are linearized. They are so bigger.

Personnaly, I shoot PEF files thinking that the next camera Raw update will support them.

• 3. Re: Pentax K-5
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Oodini wrote:

No. The Pentax DNG are linearized.

You sure?

Or are they un-demosiaced but uncompressed DNG files (hence the larger size).

• 4. Re: Pentax K-5
                Level 4

Oodini wrote:

…The Pentax DNG are linearized. They are so bigger…

How do you come to that questionable conclusion, Oodini?  Where do you think you read that?

You can't base that on the size of the file alone, as an uncompressed DNG file will of course be larger than a corresponding compressed raw file.

I can assure you that the DNGs from my K20D are absolutely undemosaiced raw DNG files and in no way "linearized".  I assume you do understand the concept of linear files—which raw files are.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 5. Re: Pentax K-5
                  Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

…Or are they un-demosiaced but uncompressed DNG files (hence the larger size).

Of course they are.  And of course I know you know, and I realize your question was more or less rhetorical, Mr. Schewe.

• 6. Re: Pentax K-5
                    Oodini Level 1

Sorry guys. I did write bullshits.

I was stucked to the idea that the DNG were bigger (it was on K10D...), and as i studied the question at this time, I remembered the demosaiced setting in the DNG format. My old souvenirs made me write very uncrrect information.

I have no to propagate this to the other threads, and find a way to process my RAW... :-/

• 7. Re: Pentax K-5
                      MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Pentax supports lossless-compressed DNG in all of its recent models. The file sizes of the DNGs are approximately the same as for PEFs (which are also lossless-compressed).

Even with older Pentax models that do not support lossless-compressed DNG, those DNG images are still Bayer mosaic CFA raw files. They are not linear DNGs. The file sizes are bigger simply because the raw files are uncompressed.