10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 6:27 AM by bcoadmin

Download Manager

bcoadmin Level 1

Following on from a discussion regarding the non-availability (or lack of published link) of the full downloadable Adobe Reader executable (see here http://forums.adobe.com/message/3229653#3229653) I would like to know other peoples views.

From my perspective, as an IT support guy, I find that the download manager is extremely presumptive in the manner that it installs Adobe Reader and removes any choice with regards to installation.  I would urge Adobe to at least reinstate the link so that the executable can be downloaded.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Download Manager
          pwillener Level 8

In my personal opinion, the download manager is nothing but trouble.  But since the 'Download' buttons on the front page point to the DLM download, I think that the average user will just use that.

For IT personnel, or for someone needing a portable download, the link should be easier to find.  (Although the FTP address is really no secret*, as it is posted mutiple times every day on this forum.)

But for Adobe this would mean more work, making just the latest download available.  (For every platform, and two different installers for Windows [EXE & MSI].)

For the forum volunteers, however, it will probably mean a lot less unnecessary questions to be answered...

*) When in need of a difficult to find download, I often go and check a company's FTP site.  Maybe some of us remember when Windows updates were only available through ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/ ...?

• 2. Re: Download Manager
            imgumbydambit

So, where do I find the adobe reader exec

utable on the ftp site?

• 4. Re: Download Manager
              bcoadmin Level 1

I agree, the average user will just click 'OK' which will install McAfee scan or some toolbar all of which are just more clutter.

Probably my biggest gripe is the assumptions made by Adobe: -

1. You WILL use download manager
              2. You WILL install to drive c:
              3. You WILL install  to c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0
              4. You WILL get an icon on the desktop
              5. You WILL get an icon in the start menu

All of the above are bad enough and remove any choice for the user, but item 3 takes the biscuit!

Whoever at Adobe had the bright idea of defaulting the install directory to a version number?  So, here we are installing Adobe Reader v9.4 to...

...yup, v9.4 (and 9.3 etc.) are all installed to c:\program files\adobe\reader 9.0 - that person should be fired forthwith!

Come on Adobe, even Microsoft give more options than you do!!!!!

• 5. Re: Download Manager
                pwillener Level 8

bcoadmin wrote:

Come on Adobe, even Microsoft give more options than you do!!!!!

As this is a user forum, all we can do is point out alternatives to the default.  The average user will just use these defaults, and be happy with it.

For those who are not, all of the 5 points you mentioned can be changed.  I, for one, don't use the download manager, but am quite happy with all the rest.

P.S. I also believe that the average (and under-average) user will easily get confused if given too many options.

• 6. Re: Download Manager
                  pwillener Level 8

bcoadmin wrote:

From my perspective, as an IT support guy, I find that the download manager is extremely presumptive in the manner that it installs Adobe Reader and removes any choice with regards to installation.  I would urge Adobe to at least reinstate the link so that the executable can be downloaded.

In regard to your original question, here is an alternate download link http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

• 7. Re: Download Manager
                    bcoadmin Level 1

I absolutely agree - this is a user forum and as such its powers are served for AND by users, and not by Adobe.  However, it is hosted by Adobe and it would be extremely sad (and counter-productive) if Adobe do not monitor and possibly even act on the contents.

With regards to the average user, I think we would both have to agree that too many options is a bad thing.  But defaulting (non)options such as including a toolbar to install unless you uncheck the box is extremely presumptive.  And the average user will not uncheck the box, just as they will accept the terms and conditions without reading them.  I recently worked on a customers PC who had installed 3 "must have" applications, including Adobe, and now had 3 toolbars, none of which the user wanted, needed nor used, and therefore had lost almost the top quarter of their browser for nothing.

As for the users using the defaults and "be happy with it"?  Not knowing any difference (or being too scared to change something - i.e. the check boxes) does not necessarily make them happy.  If Adobe and others wish to "offer" optional software or toolbars, why not have the check box unticked as default???

• 8. Re: Download Manager
                      pwillener Level 8

bcoadmin wrote:

If Adobe and others wish to "offer" optional software or toolbars, why not have the check box unticked as default???

That would be the day!  That is in fact what everybody wishes, but it will never happen - then they may as well omit the whole thing, as nobody would ever check the box to include crapware on their system.

• 9. Re: Download Manager
                        Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

bcoadmin wrote:

If Adobe and others wish to "offer" optional software or toolbars, why not have the check box unticked as default???

Or why not give these forums the major upgrade they are needing since their inception, for that matter? Probably the answer is the same.

• 10. Re: Download Manager
                          bcoadmin Level 1

pwillener wrote:

bcoadmin wrote:

That would be the day!  That is in fact what everybody wishes, but it will never happen - then they may as well omit the whole thing, as nobody would ever check the box to include crapware on their system.

Aha, perhaps we are getting somewhere?  Adobe get money for every  product (Reader, Flash, Air etc.) that installs another companies  product?

So we should call this "Pay Per Tick"...