7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2007 6:08 AM by tedalde2

stereo images in director

SAYEG
      There's a way to produce a projector for stereo images in director?, i mean, to make a viewer using opengl or directx to use it with a head mounted display (HMD)?.

sayeg5
        • 1. Re: stereo images in director
          tedalde2 Level 2
          I've created an xtra for use with the emagin z800 visor:
          http://www.squaredevils.com/xtras/

You'll need to know 3D lingo and have one of the visors. I've also made an xtra for use with Philips 3D displays, if you happen to need one, though I've not spent much time on it.

Ted
          • 2. Re: stereo images in director
            SAYEG Level 1
            Hi Ted, thank you very much for your reply, and for your xtra, is exactly the visor i´m trying to use, z800. My knowledge in lingo and 3d lingo is poor, but i´m learning. I´m working in a project with some virtual tours, with shockwave panoramic photos. For the panoramic photos i´m using the skybox behavior, developed by Barry Swan, with a lot of modifications to fit in the project; and the z800 is for show this photos in 3d, but in director.
            I will try your xtra, and will let you know my results.

Best regards.

sayeg5
            • 3. Re: stereo images in director
              tedalde2 Level 2
              Not sure if the xtra will work for flat photos... you'd have to slice them up and use them as textures on models that have some depth relative to the camera. The visor/xtra are setup to use "page-flipping" 3D; where two 3D scene cameras are used like the left and right eyes of a person, and "flipped" (alternately toggled on/off) quickly at a 60Hz interval to give the illusion of depth.
              • 4. stereo images in director
                tedalde2 Level 2
                I've been getting requests for samples lately so I posted a Director example file:
                http://www.squaredevils.com/xtras/examples.html
                • 5. Re: stereo images in director
                  SAYEG Level 1
                  Ok, i'm trying to understand your xtra and your example; it will take me some time; i will post my questions. Thank you veru much.
                  Best regards.
                  sayeg5
                  • 6. Re: stereo images in director
                    SAYEG Level 1
                    Hi Ted, as you can see, I am advancing very slow with my learning of 3d in director, and if I understood well, the cameras "L" and "R" send information to the respective lenses.
                    Question about the flat images. I have the left and right images to produce the stereo image, Can i create two planes with the images as textures, and tell to the cameras wich plane can see each one?

Best regards.

Sayeg5
                    • 7. Re: stereo images in director
                      tedalde2 Level 2
                      You probably don't even need much of the mechanics of the demo file. To show a single flat bitmap, you could simply set a backdrop or overlay on each camera. Assuming the stereo pair has been photographed correctly, that should work. However if you want to mess with convergence and separation, you'd need to place the image on a plane like you say, and place it within the scene accordingly.

Note that either way you'd still want a method to toggle L and R cameras if needed. That's currently the biggest drawback of the z800; there's no way to know which camera is being sent to which eyepiece. So the user has to look at the scene and figure out if it looks "backwards" or not.