2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 7:12 AM by Ed.Macke

How to work with renamed clips?

pcalvett

I video each of my son's football games. I import the video to the timeline and create a *.prel file for each of his games. I've been going through each *.prel and splitting each play that he does something good in by splitting just before and just after the play and then renaming the approximately 15 second clip. The problem is the only place I see the renamed clip is in the timeline of the original file. I can't get it to show up in the organizer pane or the tagging pane. My goal is to collect all his good plays at the end of the season and easily pull them into a new *.prel file to make a highlight video for him. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to go about accomplishing my objective? Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to work with renamed clips?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Renaming a clip on your timeline only affects its name on the timeline, pc. It doesn't change the name of the original clip.

What you likely want to do is trim the video on your timeline so that only the segment you want to save appears. Then use Share/Computer/AVI to save your video segment as a new AVI.

When you've done this with several segments, you'll be able to gather them all in one new project for a final mix-down.

• 2. Re: How to work with renamed clips?
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Another thought would be to just have one project (e.g. "football.prel") that you incrementally work on - as opposed to starting a new project for each 15-second clip.

For example, start a project, import a clip, add it to the time line and edit it down, then save the project.

Then next week, instead of starting a new project, re-open last week's project. Import your new footage, add it to the end of the existing timeline, edit it, and save.

That way, at the end of the season, you'll already have your project complete.

Another thing that comes to mind is if you're working on a project spanning several months, don't forget to do backups.