8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 4:19 PM by yyy2moose

Newbie Demo Question

yyy2moose Level 1

My friend tried the Demo and had issues... A hardware message and another observation is that the product features that he tried stated that you needed the plue $50 per year option.    I am asking for my friend as I am interested in getting into video primarily from still.. Now I do CS and heavy LR3 still.   

We both do not want to pay $50 per year but in your opinion, is this something that most people would need?  I know I am not being specific and it depends..

Also the demo download should download the current product (current fix level)... Any feedback would be appreciated.   I buddy is not going to spend any more time with this unless it is a known fix. 

Do you like the product ? and compared to other products, why?...

Thanks I know that I am all over the place with this post.

• 1. Re: Newbie Demo Question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do not need to pay $50 for Photoshop.com Plus unless you want the added online storage space and the added templates and effects.

The program is full and complete without it.

If you'd like to know more about the product and what I like about it, check out my page and the links on http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

I've been using Premiere Elements since version 1 and, despite an occasional aggravation, I've found it to be far and away the best product of its kind out there. That's why I co-created Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com and why I've written over half a dozen books on using it.

But it is an intensive program so:

1) You want to make sure youv'e got an adequately powered, well maintained computer to run it on, and

2) You want to make sure project settings match your source footage. If you're trying to edit video from a $100 still camera or that you downloaded from YouTube, you're likely going to have problems. But if you're working with video from a good Sony or Canon camcorder, you'll probably find great success!

• 2. Re: Newbie Demo Question
            yyy2moose Level 1

Thank you Steve, I will check out your page.

I would be using it for Pro Quality Still Images...  I do have a camera that will produce HD videos but it would not be Pro quality...  The main focus is from a Nikon D3 camera...

• 3. Re: Newbie Demo Question
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Remember, whenever you work with photos in Premiere Elements, size them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels for best performance.

• 4. Re: Newbie Demo Question
                yyy2moose Level 1

good point, and larger does not impact quality... I would not have known the recommended size however so thank you.   Yes this winter, I think I am going to invest some time in this product... I am very happy with Adobe LR3.2 for processing...

• 5. Re: Newbie Demo Question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not use LightRoom (did beta on it, but that was many versions ago), but this ARTICLE will give you tips on using Photoshop (and thanks to Neale, PSElements) to automate Scaling. I would assume that LR3 has similar, but cannot comment, as I use PS exclusively.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I create a lot of SlideShows from stills, and use PrPro (for this, PrE is almost identical), when going to DVD, or BD. Works great with plenty of power and control.

• 6. Re: Newbie Demo Question
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

LR has a couple of options on its "Export" dialog to limit pixel dimensions (fixed size, longest dimension, etc.).

You could specify all of the Premiere-specific qualities (e.g. JPG at 1000 pixels horizontally at 90% quality) and save it as a "preset". Then in the future you could select any picture(s) in LR and export them using that preset.

Also, another option is Faststone's Photo Resizer (www.faststone.org), a freeware utility that can resize single images or entire directories. Of course, unlike LR, it's destructive editing so you'll probably want to copy your images to a temp directory and resize those temp images (as opposed to permanently resizing your originals)

• 7. Re: Newbie Demo Question
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Good to know and thank you for that info. I have not seen LR, since the beta, and that was a very long time ago. I also did not test it for anything related to SlideShows, etc. Just color/density processing.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Newbie Demo Question
                        yyy2moose Level 1

Thanks everyone and Steve... I purchased PE and as with LR and CS it is a bit hard to

learn poking around... I created a video for preview with small

JPEG 1,000 x 1,000 and quality will, it stunk.  The MP4 1080p from LR was great quality (created from 12mb raw pics) but I want more features which I will get in PE.

I will have to post some new posts on recommended ways to learn.. I like online video, free of course, I also like good books on the topic and I know these are not free.  I will have to check your site out Steve as well.