8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 10:53 AM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Custom Component Hand Cursor?

pm4139

Hello,

I need to save state space by creating custom component buttons that will transition to states within the state. So to clearify because that sounds really confusing....

State 1.........State2...........State5

I

State3 State 4

That is my set up, I have two buttons on state 2 that go to either state3 or state4. My question is can you make those custom buttons act like normal components buttons with up/over/down/disabled functions? Also can you still use the hand cursor when moused over?

Other totally different question is....

Can you transition from one video to another on the same state by clicking on a button? I am creating an interactive file that is basically an appliance and when you click the "on" button a video plays of the appliance running. What really happens is: when you click the button you transition to a new state with the video on it and I just have it play automatically. This would be fine, but the appliance has many steps and I would like to user to click through the videos playing as the particular button is clicked. Any thoughts would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

• 1. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
          SrinivasAnnam Adobe Employee

Hi,

As you might already know, you can convert any custom artwork to a "Button" type component in Flash Catalyst and Flash Catalyst automatically creates all the required states like Up/Over/Down/Disabled. And you can also modify these states for further customization.

You can display a hand cursor on any component by selecting "Hand cursor" checkbox under "Appearance" tab of "Properties" panel inside Flash Catalyst.

Regarding your second question, do you have multiple videos imported and you want your single Video Player component to switch between them when a button clicked? If that is the case, I'm afraid that there is no way in Flash Catalyst as of now to do this without using States. But, you can definitely do this by adding a single line of code in Flash Builder. Let us know if you need any help in doing the same.

Regards

Srinivas Annam

• 2. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
            pm4139 Level 1

Thank you for the response! 

I was curious to know when you have a video on a state, then say you want to transition to another video without using a second state. So basically looking to have one video play then fade out the the second video fade in, but all on one state. Basically I need more states, which I know I can make inside of other state, but then you can't use the Button component on graphics, it has to be a Custom/Generic component which of course you cant apply up/over/down states. This program really needs more custom key-framing capabilities. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can only adjust the transitions between states but nothing that actually happens on the state?

Thanks again,

Paul

• 3. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
              SrinivasAnnam Adobe Employee

Hi,

You are right that you can apply transitions only between states and not for changes in the same state.

Regarding the problem with Button states, if for some reason you are unable to conver to Button, you can still add your own states to custom component and add "Mouse up", "Mouse down", "Roll over" & "Roll out" interactions to make the custom component behave same as button.

Regards

Srinivas Annam

• 4. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
                pm4139 Level 1

Good enough, thank you!

• 5. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
                  Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Paul,

For video specifically, you can change the video without creating separate states for each video.  Here's how:

1. Let's say you have a button, and you want clicking the button to change from 'video 1' to 'video 2'
                  2. Select the button an choose Add Interaction > On Click > Play Action Sequence
                  3. Select the video
                  4. In the Timelines panel, choose Add Action > Set Property
                  5. In the Properties panel, set the property to Source and then choose your 'video 2' asset as the value

This won't do any nice animation -- the video will just jump from one to the other.  State transitions are much more flexible, but in an action sequence you do have the ability to do some animation.  (It is a "sequence" after all!)  If you just wanted to do a fade out - fade in (not an overlapping crossfade), that's pretty simple:

1. Continuing from the steps above...
                  2. Make sure the video is still selected
                  3. Add Action > Fade
                  4. Set the fade to go from 100 to 0
                  5. Add Action > Fade again
                  6. Set the fade to go from 0 to 100
                  7. Position the Set Property action right in between the two Fades (so that the video is swapped right at the moment it's invisible)

Hope that helps!

- Peter

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?

Also, just to be clear: it's perfectly ok to create a generic custom component that contains its own set of states, and also contains one or more clickable button components.  A component can contain other components -- e.g. in this case, a generic custom component containing a custom button.

- Peter

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?
                      pm4139 Level 1

That was the answer I was truly looking for. Thank you very much Peter!

• 8. Re: Custom Component Hand Cursor?

No problem -- glad to help!

- Peter