8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 8:31 AM by JaysonM-Y

Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?

AlainPilon999

Hi all,

Mac user here thinking about switching (back) to the PC world. It is not that I dont like FCS or OSX, it is just that I work with a 5DMrkII and 7D and the MPE is just too tempting for me to ignore!

I have been out of the pc world for a while so I am quite confused with all the new processors. I have looked at most of the post in this forum and tried to build a system on the Dell website that would look like it without success (they dont use i7 920-930 chips?!?).

I am from Canada and dont really want to waste time building my workstation so I would rather spend 100$ more and have someone else do it for me. I looked around and it seems that the only options are from Dell or NewEggs. Am I missing a good Canadian supplier?

My buget is around 1400-1500$ and I need something that will get me going with the potential to add HDs and ram once I sell my Mac Pro. I will salvage a lot of drives from my current systems so HD are not an issue. I just need something that will do a decent job in Premiere, AfterEffects and Lightroom.

Looking at the Dell.ca web site, I couldnt find anything that was reasonably priced and had the components sugested by forum users.

Am I missing something?

Thx.

• 1. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
          richardrock Level 1

Q:Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?

A:No, not IMO.

You are mentioning fair price, expandability, and getting a configuration with parts selected for the new Adobe pkg. Considering each of these individually and the three as a set I really believe you should forget about Dell if you are serious.

Q:Am I missing something?

A:I am not sure you are missing anything but I would suggest a lot of people are building their own or paying a little more to have them built by outfits that know about video editing PCs.

I believe these guys are in the know.

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

• 2. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Second that. Also with regards to ADK.

• 3. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
              AlainPilon999 Level 1

Thx for the link but as I mentioned, I am from Canada and I really dont want to buy something from the US since I will have to pay ridiculous custom fees, that is why I am trying to find an equivalent Canadian shop.

What I have been offered so far by the local IT shop is:

- Intel i7 950, 3.06Ghz

- video card: Giga GF GTX470 1,2gig

- mb: S1366 Asus p6t x58

- 600w power supply

- 12 gigs of Kingston KVR 1333Mhz DDR3 ECC

- WD 1Tera drive (probably the WD black?) with 64meg of cache

-windows home premium

All this (plux other  stuff) for about 1600$. Is that reasonable? I wanted a cheaper video card (GTX 285) but he told me it was the only one available from the MPE list (unless there are more that arent listed on the website?)

Thx.

• 4. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That local IT shop does not know video editing. 600 W PSU is likely too low and a single disk is not enough, even below minimum requirements. Minimum is two, but better is three or more.

If you look at the benchmark results page on PPBM5 Benchmark you will see many more cards that work, like the GTX460.

• 5. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
                  AlainPilon999 Level 1

I dont really care about HD, I have 2xRaptors, 1SSD and enough in my drawers to build a RAID-5 so I am not worried about this.  I was thinking about putting OS on SSD and the raptors in RAID-0 and put the rest as a RAID-5 or in a NAS with freeNAS.

The thing that worry me the most is to make sure I have good mb that is compatible with the CPU/video card and that I am not paying for features I dont need.

Now I just learned that I may have to give Dell another look because I can have some ridiculously good deal there because of my 'normal' day job. We have an enterprise contract with them that gives us insane prices (supposely). Will have to check these.

• 6. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
                    JCschild Level 3

No duties when we ship to Canada (or most other countries) only the 13% HST tax which you will pay reagrdless of where you buy!

thanks for the props guys!

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
                      nharman Level 1

Even with a "ridiculous discount" from Dell you are still going to be paying more...  Trust me.

We've been fighting for a few more rigs around here, and the only way we were able to get approved on the computers we needed was to go through Dell.  They will do what we need just fine.. but they are costing us about double what it would to build them on our own, even with the Dell Premier discount plus another 10-15% on top of that.  My biggest issue was dell though is the lack of configurability.  Our IT guys had to meet with our Rep and have them custom spec something out, so it's been a major hassle.

If you're going prebuilt go ADK, they know what they are doing.

• 8. Re: Is there any good Dell computer for Premiere Pro?
                        JaysonM-Y Level 3

I'd recommend ADK as well.

considering you have the hds(I'm sure you told your IT guy that) the thing that will need a + would be the power supply.

your it guy suggested some good mid-ranged specs(with the exception of the PSU)....also the mobo is pro. and get Windooze 7 pro...

... now that i think about it.. mobo, gfx card, cpu were the only real good choices... I guess Harm was right.