4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 12:49 PM by daymonic

how to get around the scrollpane canvas size limit

daymonic Level 1

Hi there,

Just wondering if theres anyway to override/cheat the scrollpane size limit of roughly 2000+px?

I'm making a site for my friend and she getting pedantic about each set of photos fitting into one horizontal scroll window, only problem, each set of photos has 20 + images in them.

I read somewhere that its poss to use actionscript to arrange a bogus the starting x point on the main canvas, but surely this would only wok if you're scrolling from right to left?

Another thought I had is to embed a button at the end of the canvas size limit which the user clicks on to load the next part othe series, but this would feel clunky and like a compromise + when I've tried linking the swf of this menu into the main movie the button doesn't work.

Any thoughts or ideas? My friend has been insistent on a scroller rather than dynamically loading images (which can be slow too).

• 1. Re: how to get around the scrollpane canvas size limit
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Loading time is loading time, so insisting on a scroller isn't going to change anything, except the user will be waiting longer if they are waiting for everything to load first, which is more likely to end up with them leaving.

If a scrollpane is not working with whatever you are trying to do (I didn't really follow the problem), then you should consider not using one and just load the content into a movieclip and create scrollling controls for it yourself.  Place the movieclip under a mask and control its position with the controls.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to get around the scrollpane canvas size limit
            daymonic Level 1

Hey Ned,

the problem seems to be, when I go over a certain size canvas the scroll pane maxs out and for some reason goes red.

I have read on several forums that this is because there is a maximum canvas size and once you go over it the scrollpane stops working.

I have been using the scrollpane because my as skills are nada 1 and we're now working on borrowed time, could you be a total star and point me where to find a very simple as2 scrolling code source?

cheers mate D

• 3. Re: how to get around the scrollpane canvas size limit
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you aren't familiar with how to dynamically control the position of an object using actionscript, then your best bet will be to search Google using terms like "AS2 scrolling gallery tutorial" and see if you can find something that suits your needs.  Learning to control position with code is something worth your pursuing if this is going to be your line of work.

• 4. Re: how to get around the scrollpane canvas size limit
                daymonic Level 1

Umm finding it imposible to find a tutorial which doesnt involve either xml or as3.

Also would a bespoke scroller not be subject to the same limitations on the canvas size? (if my files go over the size limit the whole scroller loads a red block instead of the desired images).

Is it possible to publish a movie using as3 and then import it into an as2 file?

Another idea I had was to break the file in half and include a button with a link to the second half at the end of the scroll, however, as I'm importing these scrolls dynamically the button doesn't work at all on the main page - any ideas why this might be?

Once again many thanks for helping out - you've made what has felt like an impossible project so much easier.