25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 7:31 AM by the_wine_snob

How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.

haynesgeoff

I'm using Premiere Elements 8 with Windows 7, quad core i760 and 8 GB RAM. When I burn a project to disc, it will play on this PC but the disc is not recognised on my XP PC nor by my DVD recorder. My guess is that I'm burning as an HD DVD but can't see any way of changing this. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

• 1. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. Unless you have a BluRay burner and you've selected the BluRay option, you're burning a DVD. You can't accidentally burn a BluRay. (I'm assuming, by the way, you used Share/To Disc.)

Some media seems to accept video data better than others, however. And it could be the quality of your disc that's the problem. Store brands of DVDs (and especially Memorex!) can be terribly inconsistend in quality. In my books, I recommend you stick with Verbatim or Tayo Yuden brand DVDs only.

Can you tell us more about the steps you used to create your disc?

If you browse to look at the files on your disc, does your disc include a VIDEO_TS folder?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for a prompt response.

I'm using SHARE and Burn to Disc. I change the disc name, the Presets are PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD and Quality has "Fit contents to available space" ticked. The HD possibility occurred to me as my camcorder is HD.

I'm using Verbatim 4x DVD-RW and Verbatim 16x DVD-R discs. I've always used these with Premiere Elements 3 and never had any problems.

I have 3 files (26 mins, 19.5 mins and 18 mins), and all do the same. When I put them together with a menu it encodes OK then gets to 5% of burning and stops - without touching the disc. There's no indication of a problem except that it stays at 5% for hours.

• 3. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
              haynesgeoff Level 1

Sorry - the answer to your other question is yes - there is a Video TS folder.

• 4. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.

If the final disc has a VIDEO_TS folder full of .vob files, then you have successfully created a DVD. I'm not sure why it's not being recognized by other players.

However, DVD-RWs use a different process to record files than DVD-Rs. So if you're recording your video to one of them, it could be that your players are simply not able to read the RW data as a playable DVD.

The fact that it's taking so long to transcode (freezing at 5%) could be indication that there are problems with your source material. What type of camcorder is your video coming? Have you tried rendering your project (pressing Enter so that the red lines above the clips turns green) before using Share/to Disc?

• 5. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                  haynesgeoff Level 1

I always used DVD-RWs with Elements 3 with no problems so I don't think it can be that. Some of the original was from a Canon HV10 and the latest from a Canon HF S10. Some (even from the HF S10) has been through my DVD recorder (put on the HDD, then copied to DVD) and transferred to PC, the latest has gone straight from SDHC to PC via a card reader.

I hadn't realised that Enter started rendering - in Elements 3 this was part of the disc burning process. Confuscius he say "If all else fails, try reading the instructions". I'll go back to basics and render each of my 3 files. I then burn them to disc, copy to HDD and then put all 3 together in Elements. If I now render each one and then start from scratchn with the combination, I hope that'll work - I'll let you know, though probably not before tomorrow evening.

• 6. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.

"I'll burn them to disc, copy to HDD and then put all 3 together in Elements"

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it doesn't sound like the right workflow.

I would recommend opening an AVCHD project that matches the specs from that hard drive Canon camcorder or opening an HDV project for that tape-based camcorderr (NEVER mix formats in the same project) and assembling my project(s) in each of those respective projects. Then go to Share/Computer/AVI to save each project as an AVI.

Then open a new project (set up for DV) import those AVIs into it, author your DVD and output your DVD from there.

You don't have to do it that way, but it is a good way to ensure the process will work!

• 7. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

You're right that the HV10 is a mini DV tape but the HF S10 isn't hard drive, it's SDHC. I don't completely know which clips are from which camera, though only 1 of my files will contain a mixture and this is the 2nd one which worked perfectly in Elements 3.

"I'll burn them to disc, copy to HDD and then put all 3 together in Elements"

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it doesn't sound like the right workflow."

I mean that I burn a DVD, then copy it to my PC. Then, at an appropriate time, I put 2 or 3 of these together to make a 2 or 3 chapter DVD with a menu.

I am making a film of my granddaughter's life. The 1st file is her 1st year and was burnt to disc to send to her father's family. The 2nd file is 12 to 18 months, which I combined with the 1st file with a menu on a 2nd disc for his family. The 3rd file is the last 6 months which I am trying to add to the first 2 files to give me a 3 chapter DVD with a menu.

I've just rendered and reburnt to disc, my 2nd file and there is no change from before. I can't understand why this worked when I did it in Elements 3, but doesn't work now in Elements 8. It'sw as if the disc isn't being finalised.

I'll have a go with AVCHD and see how it goes. If all else fails, I'll have to revert to my XP PC with Elements 3!!

Thanks for all of your help.

• 8. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                        haynesgeoff Level 1

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to this until this morning.

I have now burnt another 4 discs - all DVD-RWs:

1. Using Win 7 and Premiere Elements 8 without changing any settings - DV widescreen 48KH
                        2. As above but change setting s to HDV 720p 25
                        3. As above but change settings to AVCHD HD1010i 25
                        4. Using Windows XP and Premiere Elements 3 without changing settings - source files copied from Win 7 PC to external hard drive.

The first 3 will only play on the Win 7 PC and are not recognised by the XP PC or DVD recorder.

The fourth plays everywhere.

On the Win 7 PC, I have 2 DVD burners and have tried burning with both - with the same results.

I'm beginning to despair - I thought the new PC would speed things up but I'm getting nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 9. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.

Geoff, I think you're chasing the wrong issues. The least likely problem is that Premiere Elements is producing unreadable discs.

Have you burned your DVD files to a folder on a hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

Have you tried using DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs rather than DVD-RWs (which many DVD players can't read)?

Your source files -- no matter where they come from -- will have no effect in how your DVD plays. Once it's all been transcoded, it's a matter of your disc player reading your disc. If that's not happening, you need to troubleshoot whether this issue is a problem with the discs themselves, a problem with your DVD player or a problem or a problem with your burner.

Burning to a folder on your hard drive will eliminate Premiere Elements as the cause of the problem. If the program can produce a VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB files, then you know the problem is either in your discs or your hardware.

• 10. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

Once again many thanks for all of your help - and patience.

You are absolutely right. I assumed that, as the same discs worked fine on the XP machine, they weren't the problem. This was correct. I also assumed that both DVD burners on the Win 7 machine, which is less than 3 months old, couldn't be faulty. I have just burnt a disc from the Win 7 machine to an external burner and this works in everything. I'm still a little puzzled as to why the discs burnt on the 'faulty' burners plays well in those burners, but that's a minor issue. The main thing is that I can now get on with my projects - I'm way behind schedule - and will be calling the supplier of the Win 7 machine tomorrow.

Thanks yet again.

Geoff

• 11. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.

Glad you're able to get it work, Jeff! Happy moviemaking!

• 12. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                nealeh Level 5

A PC that new probably needs the Rewriter firmware updated. Another possibility is that it is burning the disks at full speed - older DVD players could easily have problems with those. Try setting the burn speed to no more than x4.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi nealeh

Thanks for that. I've done a firmware upgrade but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference. I can't see anywhere on Premiere Elements 8 which lets me change the write speed.

• 14. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE will take the speed of the media and the burner, and go for the fastest possible write-speed.

In lieu of using PrE for the physical burn, I would Burn to Folder, resulting in a VIDEO_TS folder with the proper files, VOB, IFO and BUP, contained. Then, use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn (be sure to scroll down that page for the download of ImgBurn, as there are tons of ads for other software in there - about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down). It will allow you to alter the burn speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you have probably already worked through most of the tips in this ARTICLE, there might be something useful there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                        haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Bill

I like your answer but can't see an option under PC which will give me a VOB

I'm using Verbatim 4x DVD-RW. On my XP PC these are fine but not on my W7 PC. The disc I burnt to external burner worked but this was with a 19 minute video. When I put my 3 videos together with a menu (3 chapters) It goes through all of the encoding procedure but then flicks to 5% into burning and stays there forever. This happens on both internal and external burners. I have burnt the same thing onto the same disc on the XP PC in 80 minutes and it works perfectly.

• 17. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                          haynesgeoff Level 1

OK, so I'm an idiot - am now saving to file as VOB!!!

• 18. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The Burn to Folder (from the Share tab), will write your VOB's (and the IFO's and BUP files too) into the VIDEO_TS folder, where you direct the program to place it. You do not actually choose "VOB," but that part will be handled automatically.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                              haynesgeoff Level 1

I'm afraid life keeps getting in the way.

Yesterday I managed to try to burn to folder. When I burn a small video to disc, I get unusable discs on my internal burners but good ones on my external, which would indicate a problem with my burners which has not been solved by a firmware update.

On my W7 PC with PrE8, when I combine 3 videos (26 min, 19 min and 18 min) into 1 with scene markers and a menu - burning to disc or folder goes through all the motions, encoding, compiling and then when it gets to burn it stops at 5% when burning to disc or 1% when burning to folder. I left it for 2 hrs burning to folder and it was still at 1%. Task Manager indicates that it is still running but, when I cancel it, it stops responding. Using my XP PC with PrE3 and the same source files and procedure I get a perfect disc. I'm completely baffled.

• 20. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions, please:

Is the i7 machine a Dell? The reason that I ask is that several Dell owners have had issues with the internal multi-drives. IIRC, each was able to get Dell to replace those multi-drives, and all was good.

Did you copy the .PREL (Project file) and the Assets to the XP machine, or did you create a new, identical Project?

One of your computers is an XP, but I did not see if the newer one was Win7. Can you refresh my memory as to the OS of the newer machine?

If it is Win7, I would also look into the settings of the internal multi-drive, in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (exact syntax might have changed in Wn7). Compare those to the settings of the external HDD.

You have updated the firmware of the internal multi-drive. Does it also require a driver? If so, what is the make of that internal mult-drive and what is the driver version/date? [Most multi-drives do not require any driver, other than the one automatically installed with the OS, but not always.]

Though your blank discs are working fine in the external, what brand are you using? Could be an incompatibility with the internal multi-drive in the i7 machine.

Just thinking here, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                                • 21. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                  haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your time and trouble - it is greatly appreciated.

I apologise - there is a typo in my original post - the processor is an i5 760 and not an i7. It isn't a Dell machine, it's an iRush from Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/irush.html) with added memory (total 8GB), 250 GB C: drive and 3 x 500 GB hard drives (1 for general storage, 1 for video, music and photo storage and 1 as a work area - i.e. all source files, PrE8, .PREL etc). I also have a total of 2.3 TB of external HDD for backup (including images of the XP machine).

I tried copying the .PREL to the XP PC but PrE3 didn't recognise it. I therefore had to create a new, identical project.

The new machine is W7. I have looked at the settings as you suggested and, as far as I can tell (Device Manager<Properties) they are the same for all 3 burners - the external is a burner, not a HDD.

The optical drives are TSST corp (Samsung, I believe) CDDVDW SH-233L ATA Devices. The drivers are 6.1.7600.16386 dated 21.6.2006. The system tells me they are the latest available.

The discs I'm using are Verbatim 4x DVD-RW. I'm thinking of ordering some Taiyo Yuden - I've never used these before, but get the impression that they are the best.

As I can't even burn my major project to a folder, doesn't that exclude the burners and the discs as suspects in 1 of my problems?

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks again.

Geoff

• 22. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    I tried copying the .PREL to the XP PC but PrE3 didn't recognise it. I therefore had to create a new, identical project.

That makes sense, as you have two different versions of PrE, one on each machine. In some instances, one can successfully go from older to newer versions, but never the other way around.

The reason that I asked about the Project is in case there is a difference in the Timeline, between the two programs. Things, like a gap in the Video, can cause issues, though usually in the Transcoding part of the operation, and it seems that your issue is coming at burning, AFTER Transcoding.

As for the i5 vs i7, that was just my mistake. The i5 CPU should not be an issue, at any level.

While not having a Dell does not rule out a bad multi-drive, I just wanted to make sure, as it seemed that Dell had a bad batch of them, based on several other users' experiences. It could be that you have the same burner in your computer, and that it might be like the bad batch, that Dell got and installed.

To test, I would use another program, like the free, ImgBurn, to test a burn to that drive.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                      haynesgeoff Level 1

Oh boy, what joy - or as Max Miller would have said "Now here's a funny thing" ( showing my age now!!!)

I noticed that, when my mouse passed over a little flag on the bottom right of my screen, a box popped up - "Action Centre, you have 1 message". The message was that my PX engine couldn't start (I've still not idea what that means) and it gave me a link to a Roxio site which had a download. I followed the instructions and can now burn my project to a folder or DVD. I have burnt to DVD both directly from PrE8 and using ImgBurn and both discs work perfectly as long as I use my external burner and not the internals. I will now try to get my new PC supplier to exchange the 2 internal burners.

So, once again, many thanks for all the help. I can now get on with the 2 video projects which I should be finishing by now, and then start on my latest batch of photos. When you're semi-retired, there aren't nearly enough hours in the day.

All the best.

Geoff

• 24. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                        haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi

Just for information - I have now received and installed 2 new DVD burners and all is well.

Thanks again for all the help.

Geoff

• 25. Re: How to burn to DVD in Premiere Elements 8 to play on DVD recorder.
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

Great news, and thanks for reporting your success!

Happy editing,

Hunt