8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 12:38 PM by davidbeisner2010

PPBM5 Update

Harm Millaard Level 7

Due to popular requests, we have added some additional information to the results.

We have added similar results pages as the existing Overall Results, that you have all seen.

There are now pages available for each of the tests, Disk I/O, MPEG2-DVD, H.264 and MPE Results, that are sorted first on the test of specific interest to you and next on the RPI, Relative Performance Index.

With these additions we hope to give you additional insight in what makes a specific configuration fast.

One of the clear benefits is that it is now easy to see, as an example, that large arrays play a definite role to propel the Disk I/O test to great results. At least far easier than it was previously.

27-10-2010 15-00-05.png

Have a look and let us know what you think about these enhancements. PPBM5 Benchmark

NB: There is no new information, just a repackaging of existing information to help you.

• 1. Re: PPBM5 Update
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Harm! All the test result pages are currently coming up as blank for me, though looking at the source code I can see there is something there... I'm using Chrome. Is that a problem?

• 2. Re: PPBM5 Update
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Showing up blank in IE as well...

• 3. Re: PPBM5 Update
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Try it now.

• 4. Re: PPBM5 Update
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Works in the nightly build of Firefox.

Query: What is the significance between the D1, Q3, D9 etc.  I see how they're arranged with the pop out, but why those names?

• 5. Re: PPBM5 Update
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

They are common statistical measures to quickly see where a particular score ends up when compared to others. They are shown  in the Tooltip of the legends and are repeated at the bottom of all results pages and are explained in the Test Methodology Page.

It simply stands for:

TOP = TOP

D9 = Upper decile

Q3 = Upper quartile

MED = Median

Q1 = Lower quartile

D1 = Lower decile

From the Test Methodology Page:

In  addition,  the results are presented in an easier to read format.  For each test  the time  result is now preceded by an indicator  representing the relative  position of an  individual score in  comparison to all other scores on that same test.  When all  results are  ordered from best to worst, the top 10 percent, upper decile, are  indicated by D9. The upper quartile  are  indicated by Q3 (between 10  and 25%), the results between the median  and upper  quartile (25 and  50%) are shown as Med, the results between the median  and the  lower  quartile (50 and 75%) are shown as Q1 and finally all results  below the   lower quartile (75 to 100%) are shown as D1.   This is all explained  in the legends on the results page.

Sometimes it pays to read the info on a site.

• 6. Re: PPBM5 Update
                    as2353

This is a really helpful tool - after submitting the emails, how long does it take for the results to be displayed in the graphs?

Thanks

• 7. Re: PPBM5 Update
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Since both Bill and I do this as a service to all users, there is no compensation for our efforts and time, you have to take into consideration that we sometimes have other obligations, so may not react as swiftly as one could hope for. It can happen that both Bill and I have a few days off with our family and that these overlap, to give an example.

Our intention is to publish ASAP, but again, if we are out to clients or otherwise engaged, it can take several days. If you are in a hurry, not only mail the results to Bill, ppbm@att.net, but also to me by PM. In that case include your mail address as well, so I can get in touch with you if there are any questions or to give feedback.

We both post results and have found a nice way to keep our records straight. Sometimes Bill may have more time to update results, sometimes I have more time.

• 8. Re: PPBM5 Update
                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I ran one and the results were up a week later... pretty good turnaround time, really!