1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 1:23 PM by commodon

Recommendation:  Keep Automatic Auto-Analysis disabled in PrE 9

rdnelson Level 2

I was hoping Auto-Analysis would be improved in PrE 9.  There are still issues. I would recommend disabling the option "Analyze Media for Smart Tags Automatically" as found in the Media-Analysis preferences.  This option keeps a the process ElementsAutoAnalysis.exe alive and after a while will exhaust virtual memory and crash.  Note, disabling this option will increase the amount of time before analysis can begin as the process needs to be restarted.

In addition, do not attempt to do a manual analysis of a large number of media as you will also run out of memory.  Instead, break up the analysis into chunks of 1000's or so.

I have submitted a bug report.  It would be nice if someone could attempt to reproduce this to see if it exists on more than my system.  Here is a copy of the bug report (I had to split it into two submissions because of the length).

ElementsOrganizer has a huge memory leak which causes it to crash with an unhandled exception.  There are many people on the community forums who recommend to simply not using it because it doesn't work. 

The implications of this memory leak defect are the following:

a) The Auto-Analyzer will allocate and never release memory causing the VM memory size to constantly increase.

b) This causes a reduction in system resources, more swapping, and poorer overall system performance.

c) The background Auto-Analyzer will just stop functioning after a certain time and will stop processing media also preventing the manual execution of Auto-Analysis.

d) Once the memory limits have been exceeded, common users are forced to log off or reboot their system in order to do background or manual Auto Analysis.

--> Recommendation: Find and fix the memory leak

Additional implications with Auto-analysis are the following:

a) Background Auto-Analysis is re-executed even after a complete analysis of all media has been performed (if memory is available)

b) This causes again the consumption of resources and poorer overall system performance.

--> Recommendation: Only execute background auto-analysis on newly added media if a full analysis has already been completed.

Steps to reproduce...

1) Import 1000 jpg photos into the catalog.

2) Change the Media Analysis preferences as follows:

(enabled) Analyze Media for Smar Tags Automatically

(enabled) All Filters

(disabled) Run Analyzer on System Startup

(enabled) Run Analyzer when system idle

3) Exit the organizer and ensure ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe exits for a clean test (logout or kill process).

4) Start ElementsOrganizer.

5) Start Windows Task Manager.  Select the Process tab.  Click on the Image Name column to sort alphabetically. Enable the VM (Virtual Memory) column.  With the View/Select Columns... menu item.

6) Select all photos

7) Manually run Auto Analysis by clicking on Edit/Run Auto-Analyzer

8) Bring the Windows Task manager in focus.  Scroll down the list until you find ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe.  Watch the number in the VM column grow.

9) After the manual execution of Auto Analyzer has completed, select a single photo and manually run Auto Analyzer.  Again, watch the number in the VM column grow.

10) You will also notice that the background Auto-Analysis runs after the manual execution has completed -- even though it was just run.  This causes the number in the VM column to grow even more.

11) Continue to do a manual analysis on several photos.  Eventually, The exception will be issued "Unhandled exception at 0x7855af7c in ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe:0xC0000005 Access violation writing location 0x00000000.  Note the VM size at this point is nearly 2 GB.

12) The background run of Auto Analysis will not progress (as indicated by hovering the mouse over the purple tag located on the bottom left of the screen)

13) Attempting to manually execute Auto Analysis will result in the Elements Organizer to display the dialog Starting Auto-Analyzer...

14) Exit the Elements Organizer.

15) Bring up the task manager and note that ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe is still running with full VM allocation.

16) Any attempt to run either the background Auto Analysis or manual Auto Analysis will fail.

I will cross post this as the Organizer is used for both PsE and PrE.

• 1. Re: Recommendation:  Keep Automatic Auto-Analysis disabled in PrE 9
          commodon Level 1

I just bought Photoshop Elements v9 a day ago and I can confirm this issue as well.

In fact it wasn't difficult to miss.  After installing Photoshop Elements 9 and importing approx. 9,000 photos spread across 50 or so folders, eventually I observed my system to run rather sluggish, observing a lot of memory to be in use.  Using SysInternals Process Explorer it was evident which process was consuming 1.4GB of physical memory and another 1.4GB of virtual memory, but "ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe".  Killing it immediately returned all of the memory to the system.  Believing this to be attributed to myself being a new user of Adobe's Photoshop Elements, I restarted the program and went about my business of cataloging and tagging, etc.  Not more than thirty minutes later, the same issue re-occurred.

At this point I am confident it's either a bug or bad design, take your pick.  In the interim I've since disabled the "auto-tagging" feature learning that this too is a prime cuplrit for causing the issue.

In summary, I'm not happy after having spent $100 on a program I would not have expected a corporation like Adobe to have released.  In fact I'm debating the return of it and going back to using Google's Picasa which has NEVER given me this much headache.

Message was edited by: commodon