7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 10:12 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Importing MPEG? Should I Get A New Camcorder?

only.verbally

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the video editing world, so forgive me for my small vocabulary of technical technical terms. I recently installed the free trial of After Effects, and I've become semi-familiar with many of it's functions, but when it comes to importing video footage, I am at a loss. The camcorder I've been using is the Sony Handycam CX-150, and I've come to learn that it's not the best camera. It records in decent quality, but not as good as I would like it to. My real problem with it though, is that it records in MPEG. When I try to import it into After Effects, I always get an ERROR message. I have a similar problem in Premiere Pro, but the difference is that it will import video, just not audio. I've read online that these Adobe programs do not always support MPEG files, so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do that will help them support the files. I tried a video converter, but all that did was make the video quality worse than if I'd filmed it on my cell phone.

I'd prefer to not get a new camcorder, but right now that seems like to only option. If there are any recommendations for a good camcorder I could invest in, that does not film in MPEG and is ideal for editing in Adobe products, I would appreciate it. I'm not looking for the best camera out there, but I would like it to be better than the one I currently have. My problem with this is the cost, as I don't have much money to spend at the moment, and I need the camcorder ASAP. The range I am looking at right now is $500 to $700, so I realize that amazing camcorders are probably out of the question. However, do any camcorder producers offer a student discount? If so, I may be able to get a better one.

If anyone has any advice for either of my questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!