9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 1:05 AM by Morgan234

3DMax RPF Camera import problem

Morgan234 Level 1

I'm having some strange problems with getting the rpf camera import to work.

I have an rpf sequence rendered from 3D Studio MAX with the proper, recommended settings and I import it to AE. I put it in a new comp and rightclick and choose Keyframe assistant then import rpf camera and nothing happens. I've tried to change the settings in the output module and tried different combinations but nothing works. I ran across several forum posts that adresses the same issue but with no explenation or solution to it.

For example:

http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31989

• 1. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
          Morgan234 Level 1

I did some more tests and it seems that the size (as mentioned in some forums previously) of the 3D MAX scene has something to do with it. But I dont want to do a trial and error every time with what size works or not. Is there nobody else that has the same problem or know a solution?

• 2. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What does "size" mean? Sorry, this is too vague. Does it mean the frame size or the number of keyframes? Does it refer to specific channels or bit depth? Obviously the issue is in MAX, so I'm not sure what anyone around here can do for you. This is no doubt more properly asked on an MAX expert forum (and by that I really don't mean VideoCopilot), but if you can share your test files, we might have a look and help you figure things out.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
              Morgan234 Level 1

Ok, sorry.

I'm talking about the size of the scene in 3D MAX. For example how big the distance from the camera to let's say an object is or how big that object is in the scene.

And maybe you are right about it being a problem with 3D MAX but since it has to do with integration with AE I figured someone else must have run into the same problem here.

I'll see if I can post some files later today...

• 4. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem

AE clamps most values that are expressed as integers at ~32000 or multiples of them, so the issue may be in how you have set up your units in MAX and how this info is embedded in the RPF. This to me sounds like the most reasonable explanation of the phenomenon. Now I don't use MAX, but it obviously allows to define different scene base units. I would suspect that the answer to the problem is there. So in your large scenes you may try to use perhaps meters or kilometers as the base unit instead of inches or centimeters. I would definitely look into that. I would also suspect that this can be fixed somehow by adding a custom channel with an expression/ script to the camera in MAX to normalize values, but as I said, I can't tell you how to do that. Once you have confirmed that the issue relates to the unit system setup, you may get help on this on a MAX forum, though....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are some resources dy Dave Scotland linked to from this page that might be useful. Dave explains how to create RPF files from 3DS MAX for use in After Effects, including how to avoid wonky values.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
                    Morgan234 Level 1

Thanks for the info and I'll look into all the information provided and post an update here if I figure something out thats valuable!

• 7. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
                      Morgan234 Level 1

Ok, I was doing some more tests and it seems that my problem was due to something really, really silly.

The reason is that the rpf-sequence was saved on a network server. When I saved the sequence locally it all of a sudden worked. I tried copying other test sequences and they also worked when I copied them to my desktop and then imported them to AE.

Is it possible that the .rpf Camera import only works on files stored locally? (Or maybe the network path to our server is strange)

• 8. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem

No idea... It's possible that the responsible plug-in could not resolve the path, as this kind of stuff is done using a bypass mode, where the files in the project window are references and the plug-in then needs to use them as links to the original source files. So if you can report the full native network file path (not mapped network shares) to aebugs<|at|>adobe<|dot|>com with a detailed description and referencing this thread, one of the engineers might have a look at it, so it gets fixed in the future.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: 3DMax RPF Camera import problem
                          Morgan234 Level 1

It will be done!