4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 6:49 AM by pziecina

html5 and iExplorer

Magalh

Hi guys,

i found some articles about how to get internet explorer to work with html5 (http://remysharp.com/2009/01/07/html5-enabling-script/) however i've been trying to get it to work with no success.

i add the folowing between the "head" section:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
      <html>
      <head>
      <!--[if lt IE 9]>

<script src="http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

<![endif]-->

result: no change! i can see that the round corners are are not round as in any other browser.

Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Mark

• 1. Re: html5 and iExplorer
          pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi

result: no change! i can see that the round corners are are not round as in any other browser.

You are confusing html5 with css3. It is the css that has the code for rounded corners and not html5, unfortunately css3 is only implemented, (and then only a small portion of) in IE9 all previous versions have no support for css3.

You could consider using a jQuery solution such as - http://plugins.jquery.com/project/corners, for the earlier versions of IE.

PZ

• 2. Re: html5 and iExplorer
            Magalh Level 1

Thanks for your reply. You were very right!

I am probably confusing with css3. Probably cause html5 is still new for me i was trying to understand the differences between versions and except the different tag names, i still don't get what's so special about html5.

Thanks again and good luck.

• 3. Re: html5 and iExplorer
              aidenpppp Level 1

I actually was wondering the same thing.

• 4. Re: html5 and iExplorer
                pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi aidenpppp

First, it is very bad form to tag a question onto someone else's, you should create a thread of your own.

I take it you are referring to the comment -

i still don't get what's so special about html5.

I was going to let people come to their own conclusions on this, but as more people are obviously asking this question, here goes -

Well, the answer is, not very much, at the moment, but this will change over the next few years as more people use html5 enabled browser as standard without the requirement to 'fix' IE8 and below.

The main reason for using html5 now is that the structure of the document is more in line with what designers/developers have been doing for a number of years. In that menus have the tag name - menu and footers have the tag name - footer, (just 2 examples) this gives the document 'standard' tag names that refer too the function/context of that particular item.

There is nothing stopping anyone from just changing the doctype to html5, and continuing to code in the 'old' way using id's/classes with the identifiers such as menu or footer and saying that they are using html5, as this is and will always be, (for the foreseeable future anyway) valid html5 when done correctly, (the trouble is many sites are not).

However, without using html5 you cannot use the more advanced features/tags such as canvas / video / svg, and you definitely would not be able to use the html5 api which is where the real difference is.

For a list of the changes, (additions/deletions/changes to html language) I would recommend reading the following - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/. as trying to list everything here would be restrictive.

The other thing to remember, especially for anyone learning html now is that html5 will become the standard in the future. So is it not better for these people to start learning and using html5 now, and not having to unlearn/relearn html in 2-3 years time? Also correctly used html5 is more accessible for people with disabilities, (I do not mean just visual, but all disabilities) and as this is rapidly becoming a legal requirement, (beyond the section 508 requirements) in many countries, the need to re-code your sites is less likely to happen.

The need for people to learn html5 now, (and css3) was my main reason for actively advocating that CS5 should support html5, (when CS5 was released) and that an extension for CS4 should also be available. This probably upset many at Adobe, and definitely did not make me many 'friends' but they did do so in the end!!

PZ

www.pziecina.com