10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 1:19 PM by Claudiu Ursica

TINYMCE on Flex

z.cristiano

Hello, it is possibile use editoer text TINYMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/) on Flex?

• 1. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
          suludi81 Level 1

You can use basically any text editor(notepad++,UltraEdit),but my advice is to use Flash Develop.It's free and it has great code completition(better than Flash Builder),debugger,the only thing it's lacking is visual editor.Anyway it's a great tool.

• 2. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
            JeffryHouser Level 4

I think the OP meant he wants to use TinyMCE as part of a Flex App; not build Flex apps using TinyMCE.

My answer is: sort of.

You can't use TinyMCE (which is a JavaScript component) as part of a Flex/Flash App.  But, you can use the iFrame trick to hover TinyMCE over the Flex app.

It may be possible to convert TinyMCE to Native ActionScript, but I doubt it wold be trivial.

• 3. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
              Claudiu Ursica Level 4

Personally I have IFrames (along with other old html elements but that is a

different topic). I integrated Flex with CKEditor (http://ckeditor.com/) and I

did not used I frame. I had an overlay div inside the wrapper html page who

cover the flex application (set to invisible). I used ExternalInterface to call

Javascript to create the editor show the editor iside the overlay div, edited

the text and then using a callback pass it back to flex. The application was a

backend admin for a website so the text needed to be XHTML text. Worked like a

charm. However you need to escape some chars when sending to JS there is a known

issue with that.

HTH,

C

• 4. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                JeffryHouser Level 4

You "have" iFrames?  Or you "Hate" iFrames?

It sounds like you're using the iFrame trick approach with a div.

• 5. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                  Claudiu Ursica Level 4

Hate sorry for the typo , my bad is kind of late I should go to bed...

C

• 6. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                    Claudiu Ursica Level 4

The trick is really ok, is the HTML Iframe I have a problem with :).

C

• 7. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                      JeffryHouser Level 4

I'm curious as to why.

I did some Googling, and it appears that div was introduced before iFrame; which makes your complaint about "old" HTML Elements seem a bit odd.

• 8. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                        Claudiu Ursica Level 4

It is obviously I did not put the words right, sorry for that again. I've done

my share of Front end development and will still probably do it in the future...

2 of the things that we had really issues with were Frames (as in framesets

iFrame). Bookmarking, navigation, the fact that content gets indexed separate by

search engines, iframes don't re-size well with the content, etc... Again I have

stated it wrong. Most of the HTML tags are old they appear with the language

itself. I frames because of the headaches I had with them in the past and

wherever possible try to stay away from them. There are cases when they are

implemented successfully. Seen them used for accessing cross domain content, you

can still make use of the CDN. However for small static content you can bypass

it through a flash proxy object still get the cross domain part and also put

only white-list of allowed domains in there. For me the general rule of thumb is

avoid them if you can. Sometimes you have to deal with them. The nice part about

flash player is it looks the same in all browsers you don't have have to worry

about your content looking different. Unfortunately when it comes to a WYSIWYG

editor flash/flex do not match with the javascript already existing ones.

Fortunately the trick works and they can be use both. I just choose to skip the

IFrame and implement the div. I think div also renders and loads faster if I

remember correctly. Divs are here to stay, frames and Iframes are seen as a

thing of the past, hence the old in my previous statement. Hope I din not

sounded like an exclusivist or something like that. I like to consider options

as wider as possible and even though flash/flex is my favorite "weapon" there

are cases when good old plain HTML works better for the given situation. But i

think I am getting away from the initial issue, sorry if I am spamming...

C

• 9. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                          z.cristiano Level 1

Thank you, but how i can use this TINYMCE on Flex?

It is possibile or no?

• 10. Re: TINYMCE on Flex
                            Claudiu Ursica Level 4

Set it up as if you;d use it in HTML and make the call from flex to the

javascript tinyMCE.init(); (pass additional text if you need to edit anything)

The you display it over your flex app. Upon saving you pass the text back to

flex and close MCE, hide html overly/iframe and you are done.

C