6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 11:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?

Sylhut

I have the trial version on my mac and have several issues I would like to resolve before purchasing.  When I first opened the software, it asked if I wanted to download additional content and I did so; however, the only instant movie theme that shows a preview is the one that was originally there.  The others are blank although I can apply them to my project.  Also on the Birthday Party theme, it shows in my Project window in the Birthday Party some items that I don't see in the movie, and a red sign pops up saying "media off-line".  After rendering, the playback is very choppy and seems to stop at times.  Will the finished movie run more smoothly and have all the elements?    Another issue is I can only find 12 soundtracks which are in the media window with my clips.  Is that all you have to choose from for your projects?

Another annoying thing is when I clicked on the "Inspiration Browser" help tips at the bottom, it said I needed to download Adobe Reader and I did so. However, it continues to show the message and won't let me watch some of the tutorials, although a few will work.  (Adobe is installed and I have restarted the computer).  

I would like to purchase the Photoshop Elements and Premiere package but would like to know when I switch to the paid version, that my issues will be resolved.  Will the project I'm working on have the "Trial banner" removed?  Should I uninstall the trial version and reinstall the paid software?   I would also like to know if it is worthwhile to get the Plus edition for extra storage and features.

I appreciate any help as when I called Adobe they wouldn't answer questions from trial version users and directed me to this forum.  (Not a good way to sell their software).

• 1. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a lot of questions for one post, Sylhut! I'll do my best to give you general answers -- but without knowing your system specs and what type of camcorder you're getting your video from (as well as which settings you're using to edit your video in your Premiere Elements project) it's hard to be too specific.

I'm concerned that you're not seeing all the InstantMovie Themes icons. This could indicate a lack of power or lack of RAM on your computer. Though it's also not clear from  your post if you actually did download the additional content or not.

I'm not sure what you're saying when you say that you can only find 12 soundtracks in your media. Have you gone to the Organize tab and selected Project? This will show you all of the media clips that have been imported into your project.

I've created a series of Basic Training tutorials for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. They'll help you navigate some of these basics.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

The Media Offline indicator means that the program can not find some of the media you've imported into your project, most likely because the device that includes it has been removed from your computer. You can't, for instance, link your project to media still on a camcorder or camera, for instance. All media must be on your hard drive so that the program can link to it as you're working on your project. Using the Organize/Get Media button to download or capture your video from your camcorder will ensure that that is the case (as I demonstrate in my tutorials).

The Inspiration Browser is an online set to tutorials which you can access if you're logged onto Photoshop.com. As you click on those little captions that appear at the bottom of the program, you'll be taken to Photoshop.com and offered a tutorial specific to the task you're trying to perform.

Finally, it's very important that you render your work whenever you see a red line on the timeline above your clips. Whenever an effect, theme or transition has been applied to a clip, you will need to render it to see a full quality playback. You render by pressing the Enter key. When you've rendered, there will be a green line above the clips on your timeline.

Again, I don't know what you're using as source video but, if you've got your project settings and source media perfectly matched (as you should), there will not be a red or green line above any clips on your timeline until you apply an effect, theme or transition to them.

There's much more in my books, if you're interested. They're available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store. You'll find more information on the program and about the books at:

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 2. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?
            Sylhut Level 1

Steve, thank you for trying to help.  I have an iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, and captured my video from my Canon Vixia HF200 .  I don't think this is the problem. The clips are fine.  The problem I'm having is with the Instant Movie themes which I installed from Adobe.  Maybe they didn't install correctly and I should try reinstalling, but I would like to go ahead and purchase the software so I can get my project done asap.   When I go to the "Organize" tab and select "Media", it shows my clips and 12 Adobe audio soundtracks ?.

I tried to render my project again (it must need to be rendered every time you open the program) but when I select the instant movie and press enter nothing happens. 

I would like to go ahead and purchase the software and work out these issues, but I'm not sure if I should uninstall everything first and start over.  Or, can I just buy and my installed progam will work properly?

I have been watching your tutorials and they are very helpful but I'm sure I will need to purchase the books for Premiere and Photoshop.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?

As I said, Sylhut, you need to go to the Organize tab and select Project. Not Media.

The Media panel has another purpose and, as I explain in my books and tutorials, it can be very confusing because it may or may not show you the media in your project.

The Project panel is Premiere Elements' media panel. This is the media that's in your project.

The Canon Vixia shoots in a variety of modes. If you plan to edit your video in Premiere Elements, you should only shoot in FXP and MXP mode.

When you start a new project in Premiere Elements, you must click the Settings button and, from the preset options, select AVCHD 1920x1080. I believe the camcorder is stereo but has a 5.1 option -- so I think you'll be okay selecting the stereo preset.

When you've selected the proper project preset, your clips can be placed on your timeline with no red or green lines above them until you apply an effect or transition to them. Using the correct project preset, then, will save you a lot of unnecessary rendering.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?
                Sylhut Level 1

I did set the project presets correctly.   The question I have about the Media Panel, is this where you access the soundtracks Adobe provides you to include in your projects?  There are only 12 and I'm wondering if there are more in another location?  Also, to render my project, should I be able to select it in the timeline and press enter and it will render?  If so, that is not happening.

I am unable to watch your tutorial on instant movies on Premiere because it keeps saying I need to install Adobe Reader (which I did).

Do you think it would be best to uninstall the trial and start over?

• 5. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?

The tutorials are MP4s, not PDFs, so I'm not sure why you'd need Adobe Reader.

I also don't know anything about the soundtracks Adobe provides you. I've never heard of music being supplied with the program -- unless you're talking about SmartSound Quicktracks, which creates custom music tracks for you. But that's a whole other set of tutorials.

But, once you start a project, you need to use Get Media to get your media, either off your camcorder or from a location on your hard drive. Once you've "got" media, it will appear in your Project panel.

The Media panel, in my opinion, is just about useless -- and very confusing. I'd recommend you ignore it completely.

Once you've located the clips on your hard drive, you can use Get Media/From Files and Folders to bring them into your Project panel.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can someone help me with questions about Premiere on Mac?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If the OP is referring to SmartSound QuickTracks, this ARTICLE might be useful. It covers the gamut of SmartSound software and music, so there is more info, than one will need just for QuickTracks. Personally, I use a lot of SmartSound software and their music. Hardly a Project is completed without some SmartSound material in it somewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt