5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 9:17 AM by bhibbs

Add link to URL in text added in catalyst

Tsvetan Stoykov

Hi,

my question is, is there a way to make part of a text added in flash catalyst a link to URL, like in normal website?

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Add link to URL in text added in catalyst
          SrinivasAnnam Adobe Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry, I'm not very clear about your question. So, I will give two solutions. Please use which ever is appropriate for you

Solution 1 : This is to convert any any single text instance in Flash Catalyst to a clickable link

You can conver any Text instance into a button & then add a "Go To URL" interaction to achive this.

Step 1. Add some text using the Text control.

Step 2. Select the text and convert it to a "Button" using Heads Up Display.

Step 3. Click on "Add Interaction" button in the "Interactions" panel

Step 4. Choose "Go To URL" from second combo & enter the URL in the text box below that

Solution 2 : This is to convert a part of text instance to a clickable link.

This functionality available only by "RichEditableText" component that is not supported by Flash Catalyst.

Once you have the text placed inside your application using Catalyst, you have to edit in Flash Builder.

Step 1. Save the Flash Catalyst project as FXP

Step 2. Import the FXP file in Flash Builder using "File->Import Flash Builder Project" menu

Step 3. Open the "Main.mxml" file & locate the "RichText" component

Step 4. Replace "RichText" with "RichEditableText".

Step 5. Set "editable" property of "RichEditableText" component to "false"

Step 6. Add the "<s:a>" tag around the part of text you want to be clickable. See sample below

Step 7. Save & publish the project using "Project->Export Release Build" menu

Text before edits

<s:RichText text="Hello World"/>

Text after edits

<s:RichEditableText editable="false">
                                           <s:content><s:p>Hello <s:a href="http://www.adobe.com">Adobe</s:a></s:p></s:content>
                                   </s:RichEditableText>

Let us know if this solved your problem.

Regards

Srinivas Annam

• 2. Re: Add link to URL in text added in catalyst
            Tsvetan Stoykov Level 1

Hi,

your second solution solved my problem. Thank you very much!

• 3. Re: Add link to URL in text added in catalyst
              humandesigner Level 1

It is sad that you have to go through Flex for adding "mailto" links.

And as I understood there is no chance to go back to Catalyst again, right?

Isn't there even the possibility to lay a box over the textarea and get that linked with a mailto?

Where is the problem technically?

Thanks and greetings

• 4. Re: Add link to URL in text added in catalyst
                bhibbs

This isnt working for me.

Here is the code that I want to change. Any help appreciated. Also how do I text link using the same method to another page in catalyst?

Thanks

<s:RichEditableText editable="false">color="#ffffff" fontFamily="Arial" fontSize="12" height="89" lineHeight="150%" textDecoration="underline" d:userLabel="Undergraduate Programs Graduate Programs Pre College Summer Pro" whiteSpaceCollapse="preserve" width="183" x="17" y="1498" text="Undergraduate Programs&#xd;Graduate Programs&#xd;Pre College Summer Programs&#xd;Continuing Studies">
                            <s:content><s:p><s:span><s:a href="http://www.adobe.com">Undergraduate Programs</s:a></s:span></s:p><s:p><s:span>Graduate Programs</s:span></s:p><s:p><s:span>Pre College Summer Programs</s:span></s:p><s:p><s:span>Continuing Studies</s:span></s:p></s:content>
                        </s:RichEditableText>

• 5. Re: Add link to URL in text added in catalyst
                  bhibbs Level 1

not getting this to work. can you see my post below and help? also how do you stylizie teh buttons once they work. the one i did get to work was that default blue color.

thanks

-b