7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 7:19 PM by kenpelletier

blank illustrator layers?

scaldin Level 1

Here's a new problem I've discovered: after importing illustrator layers, then saving project, close project, re-open project...illustrator layers are blank. After clicking purge, layers show up. This only works for layers that are actively being viewed (either in layer window or comp window) So, for layers that are further down in the timeline, they remain invisible until you park on that frame and click purge. Turning off multiprocessing has no effect. Yesterday I went through 1800 frames to find the ones where the type didn't render. Unacceptable.

CS5 10.0.1.19

2 x quad core  16 GB ram

Screen shot 2010-10-28 at 3.20.39 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-10-28 at 3.20.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-10-28 at 3.21.03 PM.png

• 1. Re: blank illustrator layers?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Actually this may be a problem with your expressions not updating and thus the layers not being re-rasterized.... Does it update, when you move the layer upmost in the hierarchy? Short of that I can only think of specific effects and layer styles involved plus the usual suspicious OpenGL stuff, but I realyl think it relates to the rigging somehow....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: blank illustrator layers?
            scaldin Level 1

I just did a test to see if my layer styles or an expression were the culprit...negative. Made new project, imported layers, saved and closed, when I re-opened everything is still blank. However, when I save the Illustrator file to a legacy CS3 file, it behaves normally. I suppose this is a work-around until there's an update...

• 3. Re: blank illustrator layers?

I suggest you provide the AI file and your project to the AE team via aebugs<at>adobe<dot>com. This sounds unusual and certainly is worth a look on their end...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: blank illustrator layers?
                scaldin Level 1

some more info: the CS5 visiblity problem only occurs when working off of our mac server...I transferred the  illustrator CS5 version locally and it behaved normally.

• 5. Re: blank illustrator layers?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please do as Mylenium suggests and send a detailed bug report and sample file to aebugs -at- adobe -dot- com.

• 6. Re: blank illustrator layers?

Any specific directory structure? What kind of server? Could well be a simple misconfiguration in the server's caching system that does not correctly refresh the files and/or some specific vaulting/quarantine thing in combination with permissions....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: blank illustrator layers?
                      kenpelletier Level 1

This might apply here, but this is a solve I found and posted to another thread.

I have found the genesis of our problems. I first noticed this on a project where I was using Illustrator (CS5) artwork supplied by a designer. He was using the "Film/Video" presets to make an HD formatted AI file. I liked how handy the grids and title safeties were so I kept using the preset on other projects. Thats when I started noticing artwork disappearing. I had to purge it at multiple points in my timeline just to get a render out.

When I read richardbwallace's idea to look for the second artboard and delete it, everything clicked into place. Instantly everything came back. I have a feeling that Adobe needed to add that artboard to make something in the film and video presets to work the way they do and didn't anticipate or test for this issue.

I have not checked if other presets use the same double artboard trick, but if one of them does, I bet it will cause the same problems.

tl;dr - Video and Film presets in AI add extra artboards which cause the issue.