4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 1:09 PM by xpertpse RSS

How to: Crop one head onto another photo

tbone67

I would like to simply crop a head from one photo and then paste it onto a different photo.  Once the head is on the new photo, I would like to adjust the head size to fit.  I used to have Roxio Photo Suite that would allow this very simply.  Is there a simple way to do this without having to match photo's resolution, size, etc...?

• 1. Re: How to: Crop one head onto another photo
          99jon CommunityMVP

Use the quick selection tool to outline the head and press Ctrl+j to put it on a transparent background.

Place your background image on a separate layer an drag it below the head.

Use the hand tool to position the head and the bounding box to re-size by dragging the corner or side handles.

• 2. Re: How to: Crop one head onto another photo
            Terri_F Community Member

tbone67 wrote:

I would like to simply crop a head from one photo and then paste it onto a different photo.  Once the head is on the new photo, I would like to adjust the head size to fit.  I used to have Roxio Photo Suite that would allow this very simply.  Is there a simple way to do this without having to match photo's resolution, size, etc...?

The image you transfer into the open image will adopt the open image's resolution. If the images are not the same resolution, the image being transferred will expand or shrink as part of this process. This can be a problem especially if the image being transferred has significantly less resolution than the open image. Your best bet is to match the image resolution beforehand using the Image Resize dialog. In this dialog, you can employ "resample" and choose the method of interpolation that works best for your circumstances.

Info on interpolation resample methods:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopElements/8.0/Win/Using/WSae2ea3b149d0c3591ae939f10386 0b3d59-7ee0_WIN.html

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/resizing-vs-resampling2.php

Try to use a head that is at a similar angle as the original so it goes with the body.

Use the free transform commands to adjust the head.

There are several ways to do this although they are all pretty similar. Select head that is at a similar angle to the body. Lower the head's opacity or change the head layer to difference blend mode to help you align the new head on the body with the free transform commands. Either erase or mask out unwanted areas of new head. Use clone stamp if necessary.

There are lots of videos on YouTube on the subject of head swapping.

The one I have linked below is pretty easy to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUjELnSYHI&feature=related

The tutorial I linked above is made for Photoshop but the technique for doing this in Elements will be similar. Elements does not have the curves dialog so you might try using the levels command. You might also try the Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust Color For Skin Tone.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopElements/7.0_Win/WSB6ACB84A-19AA-4839-A7E6-8DB07EACF0 E4.html

Another difference is the command for create a clipping mask command in Elements is Ctrl + G if on a PC...Cmd + G if on a Mac. The video gives the Photoshop command. (If you have E8 or E9, you can find the command in the menu Layer<Create clipping mask. If you have E7 or below, you can find the command in the menu Layer<Group with Previous. The difference in the command is because Adobe changed the command name from Clipping Group to Clipping mask starting in PSE 8.)

• 3. Re: How to: Crop one head onto another photo
              tbone67 Community Member

Very helpful! Thank You!

• 4. Re: How to: Crop one head onto another photo
                xpertpse Community Member

Have you got what you wanted to acheive?