5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 3:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Export Problems

Toomany3 Level 1

I can export to any settings in simple projects with minimal cuts.  But when it comes to a little more complicated projects, Media Encoder will fail to render it out and give me a generic error message such as:

Unknown error.

-----------------------------------------

- Source File: Q:\TITLE SEQUENCE SYNC RAID 0\INTRO\Premiere Files\Intro 10 RC no elk at end.prproj

- Output File: Q:\TITLE SEQUENCE SYNC RAID 0\INTRO\FINAL RENDER\Intro 10.mov

- Preset Used: Custom

- Video: 1920x1280, 29.97 [fps], Lower, Quality 100

- Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit

- Bitrate: H.264

- Encoding Time: 00:00:15

10/28/2010 5:25:28 PM : Encoding Failed

Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.

It doesn't seem to matter what settings I use.  I always get a similar message.

I installed PP on another work station with an inferrior configuration and it renders the same project with no errors.  I'm running:

PP 5.0.2

Intel i7, 980x 3.7Ghz overclocked 6-core

24GB memory

2 Raid-0 Drives (2 drives each)

The type of footage I'm editing is:

TIFF sequences exported from After Effects (40% of project)

MOV files from Canon 7D (20% of project)

MP4 XDCAM from Sony EX1 (20% of project)

MP3s and WAVs for audio.

I'll post a screen grab of my project.  As you can see, this isn't over the top for a typical promo-type video.

ppcs5 screen cap.PNG

• 1. Re: Export Problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Notes from the Encore side... but this may apply to Premiere

Long File Names or odd characters Cause Crashing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
          And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
          And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Export Problems
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Interesting info, John, I'd not heard that about Encore before. But I can tell you from personal experience that I've run exports of timelines much more complicated than the OP's, with CRAZY long file names--like a full sentance long--and not had an issue, using PPro CS3, CS4, and CS5.

To the OP: I'm wondering if you're experiencing some instability with your OC'd CPU? Try bringing it back down to stock and see if it still crashes on you...

• 3. Re: Export Problems
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I always have short paths and file names so have never had any problems... but did read/save those discussions of other people that DID have problems with long file names or "odd" characters in the name

Just one more data point to work on for troubleshooting

• 4. Re: Export Problems
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can't hurt to test with shorter file names.  I do not recall this being an issue for Premiere.  And many users appear to not have problems in Encore despite ridiculous filenames and paths. BUT there were issues in Encore where shortening (or probably more importantly removing spaces or odd characters) fixed problems.  So in Encore,  "best practices" include short names/no spaces.  I think the speculation was that it was the Sonic authorcore in Encore that was ultimately at issue; that's the other reason I suspect it is not an issue in Premiere.  But if some poor soul with a problem doesn't test it, we'll never know!

• 5. Re: Export Problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

It was Neil Wilkes, who offered up a list of "no-no's" in Encore, and did the follow up to point out that these issues exist in Sonic Scenarist, hence his assertion that it was most likely a limitation in the AuthorCore modules.

As for PrPro, one of the first things that I would look for would be gaps. CS5 has added a "gap finder" tool (this is not a GPS app. to locate GAP store locations). The Error Compiling... is common with gaps, as is the "Failure to Return Frame" in Encore's Transcoding. Might not be the issue here, but when one mentions "complicated," the opportunity does exist for a gap in the Video to be present.

Just a thought,

Hunt