6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 8:07 AM by nharman

Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box

The Hoffstra

All,

I'm building a box for serious photo work  (including very large panoramas), and also more casual graphics, 3-D,  video projects.  I've built about a dozen machines over the years but  the most recent was a Q6600 a couple of years ago.  I'd appreciate  notes/comments/suggestions on my tentative build spec:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue ATX Case
      Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz CPU
      COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
      ASUS P6X58D Premium
      Kingston HyperX 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
      EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB
      CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V PSU
      OS HDD:               Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
      Temp/Scratch/Etc:  SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
      Data Storage:        SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
      Windows 7x64

• 1. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I should keep my mouth shut, since I can't think of any valuable remark, other than saying "You have done your homework".

This sure looks like a nice system, especially for your emphasis, photo work. For video work you may add a disk or two. You will be pleased with the performance you will get.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
            Powered by Design Level 4

You were probably heading this way but I would say get Window 7 Pro

That Coolermaster HAF 932 blue does look good, but I would go with the new HAF X.

The HAF X has air filters to keep dust out, but its almost the same.

Everything else looks good like Harm said.

GLenn

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
              gtacyclist Level 1

Looks good but I would probably go with a smaller PSU... like a Seasonic X750.

• 4. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
                The Hoffstra Level 1

Right on, I read forum posts and reviews til I got pretty cross-eyed.  Dust filters... Yeap I bet that would make a ton of difference cause this case is essentially made of mesh.  Least likely component to need an RMA so I went ahead and snagged it first, dang it.  Maybe I can improvise something.

For the PSU I started on 850W, but on Harm's standard suggestion I did the eXtreme PSU calculator thing and found that if I add a BD drive, more HDDs and/or (less likely) another video/PCIe card I run out of power headroom.  I might look at using about 4 GBs of RAM as a ramdisk to use for quick temporary read/write instead of an SSD, and eventually the extra sticks from the hex kit will come in handy for running VMs.

Well unless anyone has any pointers (I can use any info, believe me) I'll probably try to time a sale or something and then get on with the build.  Thanks and cheers!

• 5. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
                  richardrock Level 1

I see you already bought your case, and you will be fine. I have the HAF 932 and I am very pleased with it, but (just as a bit of information) I agree with ‘Powered by Design’ on his point. I also have an EVGA Fermi card (480). I picked EVGA for the Lifetime Warranty. To fully register it required a couple of communications with them. They suggested pre-RMA by sending them copies of receipts, which I did. They send me emails from time to time and one of them is a warning to run the card in a dust free environment and to routinely “properly remove and thoroughly clean the card with compressed air…”. This is a killer good card; I love it. However, the card’s heat pipes get very hot. I am not kidding, make sure your wiring stays away from this card. EVGA and I are both concerned with protecting this card from dust because there is a little risk involved because of its high value.

Happy Computing

• 6. Re: Build Spec for Photo/Graphics Box
                    nharman

You're always better off with a PSU that is too powerful, than one that is not powerful enough.  The HX1000 is a solid choice for a power supply, so there is nothing to worry about there.

As for dust filters, they aren't really all that necessary, it just really depends on where you keep your computer.  If it's kept off the ground in a relatively dust free environment, if the fan configuration is setup properly most of the dust will just blow right through that does enter the computer and a good quick spray down with a can of compressed air every month or two will be more than enough maintenence for it.

If you work in an area that tends to get dusty a lot, I've heard of people using old panty hose in front of the fans as a quick and cheap disposable fan filter, if not you can always buy higher end fan filters.  Just go for one that isn't too restrictive for your fans.  You're better off letting a little dust through and cleaning on a regular basis than you are getting a really good filter and choking your computer for air.

That's a great looking build though.