10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2007 3:36 PM by delta71

Need Help for Photo gallery

delta71
      Hello,
      I am a photographer and am new to website design but i have built my own website:
      Nathan Lopez photography
      on the gallery's I have simply resized and pasted my picutures on the page. i would like to have a way for my customers/clients view the pictures more easily and have the images load more quickly, IE: like a scroll bar with small images accross the bottom and a "blank image place" that is larger above the smaller ones that will display the images when someone clicks on the smaller images. i hope that makes sense.
      I would greatly appreciate anyone checking out the websites and please contact me with any sugestions.
      Thank you
      Nathan
        • 1. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
          Level 7
          There are soo many solutions for this .. one that I recently found out was
          there is in Photoshop under File/Automate/Web PhotoGallery .. look at some
          of the previews. There are a couple for Flash and several other solutions
          for creating one of these in just a few minutes.

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual,
          DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's Guide
          Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"delta71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f88jln$9p2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello,
          > I am a photographer and am new to website design but i have built my own
          > website:
          > http://www.nathanlopezphotography.com
          > on the gallery's I have simply resized and pasted my picutures on the
          > page. i
          > would like to have a way for my customers/clients view the pictures more
          > easily
          > and have the images load more quickly, IE: like a scroll bar with small
          > images
          > accross the bottom and a "blank image place" that is larger above the
          > smaller
          > ones that will display the images when someone clicks on the smaller
          > images. i
          > hope that makes sense.
          > I would greatly appreciate anyone checking out the websites and please
          > contact
          > me with any sugestions.
          > Thank you
          > Nathan
          >

• 2. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
            Level 7
            Nathan,

1) Too much bandwidth. Images must be optimized for the web using Photoshop
            or some other image editor - below 45k.

2) Take a look at www.Jalbum.net (free) photo gallery app with lots of
            skins, custom options.

3) Or, Lightbox 2.0.
            http://www.photoshoplab.com/lightbox-20-web-photo-gallery.html

4) Project VII has some good stuff too.

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

> Hello,
            > website:
            page. i
            easily
            images
            smaller
            images. i
            > hope that makes sense.
            contact
            > Thank you
            > Nathan
            >

• 3. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
              Level 7
              On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:43:03 +0000 (UTC), "delta71"
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Hello,
              >website:
              > on the gallery's I have simply resized and pasted my picutures on the page. i
              >would like to have a way for my customers/clients view the pictures more easily
              >and have the images load more quickly,

Hi - I see you still prefer to use film rather than digital camera's.
              Fine - that is your professional judgment, but to use digital images
              on the web would be helped /enhanced by doing a course on digital
              photography / web images (:-)

The image sizes are much too large for a web page- for example the
              images on the home page are 534, 1318 & 3757kb !!.

they should be about 30k each. If you want to display a better quality
              image - you can link to them from them.

Have a look at this page which will advise more:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.nathanlopezphot ography.com/Landscapes.html

The code is wrong in a few places - and doesn't validate:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nathanlopezphotography.com%2Findex.html &charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&verbose=1

to develop web pages - it is a REALLY good idea to use Firefox
              http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

together with webdeveloper
              http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

--

~Malcolm N....
              ~
              • 4. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                delta71 Level 1
                Is their anything soley within Dreamweaver 8 that i can use to do this or will i need another app/prog?
                • 5. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                  delta71 Level 1
                  "The image sizes are much too large for a web page- for example the
                  images on the home page are 534, 1318 & 3757kb !!. "

How do i adjust the size of pictures?
                  • 6. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                    Level 7
                    In my humble opinion, photographers make terrible web designers. Not that
                    you don't have a keen eye but you know nothing about the rules of "web
                    design" or the tools of the trade. It would take months to teach you
                    everything you should know and there are no guarantees that your site would
                    come out right. If you are serious about having a quality web site to
                    showcase and hopefully sell your art work, you really should contract this
                    out to a web professional. Please don't take this as criticism. It's just
                    that not everyone can pitch for the majors. Focus on what you do best and
                    outsource the rest.

Just my 2 cents,

--Nancy O.
                    www.alt-web.com

> Hello,
                    > website:
                    page. i
                    easily
                    images
                    smaller
                    images. i
                    > hope that makes sense.
                    contact
                    > Thank you
                    > Nathan
                    >

• 7. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                      joeq Level 1
                      wow - that's quite a sweping statement! i've seen many websites by photographers that were truly works of art - they may not have the geek factor and follow some set of arbitrary "rules of web design", but they were created – generally speaking – by people who know how to visually communicate an idea or a feeling..... something that can't be taught.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      In my humble opinion, photographers make terrible web designers. Not that
                      you don't have a keen eye but you know nothing about the rules of "web
                      design" or the tools of the trade. It would take months to teach you
                      everything you should know and there are no guarantees that your site would
                      come out right. If you are serious about having a quality web site to
                      showcase and hopefully sell your art work, you really should contract this
                      out to a web professional. Please don't take this as criticism. It's just
                      that not everyone can pitch for the majors. Focus on what you do best and
                      outsource the rest.

Just my 2 cents,

--Nancy O.
                      www.alt-web.com

> Hello,
                      > website:
                      page. i
                      easily
                      images
                      smaller
                      images. i
                      > hope that makes sense.
                      contact
                      > Thank you
                      > Nathan
                      >

• 8. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:50:47 +0000 (UTC), "delta71"
                        <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>"The image sizes are much too large for a web page- for example the
                        >images on the home page are 534, 1318 & 3757kb !!. "
                        >
                        >How do i adjust the size of pictures?

With Adobe Photoshop or a similar image processing package

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

--

~Malcolm N....
                        ~
                        • 9. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                          Level 7
                          <i've seen many websites by photographers that were truly works of art..>

Me too. But these talented folks took time away from their main profession
                          to learn how to design for the web. Owning a copy of Dreamweaver doesn't
                          make someone an instant success at web design anymore than owning a camera
                          makes one an instant success at photography. It takes time to learn and
                          develop experience.

<they may not have the geek factor and follow some set of arbitrary "rules
                          of web design.">

W3C validation isn't arbitrary. Either your page validates or it doesn't.
                          Which would you rather have?

Honestly, I mean no disrespect. But a film photographer who doesn't know how
                          to optimize images in Photoshop, let alone understand CSS, Html,
                          JavaScript... would be better off hiring a web designer.

--Nancy O.

"joeq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:f88umm$ljj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > wow - that's quite a sweping statement! i've seen many websites by
                          > photographers that were truly works of art - they may not have the geek
                          factor
                          > and follow some set of arbitrary "rules of web design", but they were
                          created ?
                          > generally speaking ? by people who know how to visually communicate an
                          idea or
                          > a feeling..... something that can't be taught.
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          > In my humble opinion, photographers make terrible web designers. Not
                          that
                          > you don't have a keen eye but you know nothing about the rules of "web
                          > design" or the tools of the trade. It would take months to teach you
                          > everything you should know and there are no guarantees that your site
                          would
                          > come out right. If you are serious about having a quality web site to
                          > showcase and hopefully sell your art work, you really should contract
                          this
                          > out to a web professional. Please don't take this as criticism. It's
                          just
                          > that not everyone can pitch for the majors. Focus on what you do best
                          and
                          > outsource the rest.
                          >
                          > Just my 2 cents,
                          >
                          > --Nancy O.
                          > Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                          > www.alt-web.com
                          >
                          >
                          > "delta71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          > news:f88jln$9p2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > > Hello,
                          > > I am a photographer and am new to website design but i have built my
                          own
                          > > website:
                          > > http://www.nathanlopezphotography.com
                          > > on the gallery's I have simply resized and pasted my picutures on the
                          > page. i
                          > > would like to have a way for my customers/clients view the pictures
                          more
                          > easily
                          > > and have the images load more quickly, IE: like a scroll bar with
                          small
                          > images
                          > > accross the bottom and a "blank image place" that is larger above the
                          > smaller
                          > > ones that will display the images when someone clicks on the smaller
                          > images. i
                          > > hope that makes sense.
                          > > I would greatly appreciate anyone checking out the websites and please
                          > contact
                          > > me with any sugestions.
                          > > Thank you
                          > > Nathan
                          > >
                          >
                          >
                          >

>
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Need Help for Photo gallery
                            delta71 Level 1
                            Alright well i acctually do very well with Film Photography i make a great living and have had many oppotunities with it. Thank you not all of you but just a few of the postees on this who successfully over complicated this, and could not just give me a black and white answer. and thanks for the sales pitch Nancy.