3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 12:59 PM by EditorASC

Can't Open PDFs Inside Firefox

drake_tungsten Level 1

I have installed the latest Adobe Reader 9 and want to open PDF documents inside of the Firefox browser on Vista. No matter what I do, I  always get a popup window asking me if I want to download or open in Adobe Reader when I click on a pdf file. I have Firefox's tools - options -  applications set to "use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)". I have  re-installed Adobe Reader and Firefox with the most recent versions. I  have manually copied the plugin dll from its Adobe directory to the  Firefox directory, over-writing the existing one in Firefox. I have  deleted pluginreg.dat and let Firefox recreate it. None of this does anything for me. My  IE, however, will open PDF files inline with Adobe Reader. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Can't Open PDFs Inside Firefox
          james_ladd

I have the same problem, but you at least get the option to open the PDF within firefox.

I dont get that option.

I have tried reinstalling and even installing a previous verision.

Frustrating

• 2. Re: Can't Open PDFs Inside Firefox
            EditorASC Level 1

I have the same problem, after installing Adobe Reader Ver 9.4.0.  Using FF Ver 3.6.12 and XP home edition.  Prior to this last Adobe installation, I could always download PDF documents from the Internet.  But now, when I try to download, I first get an all white page for a second or two and then the page goes all black and nothing happens after that.  Have tried it many times, and always get the same result.

I can still open PDFs from those stored on my Hard Drive OK, but I can no longer open or download any PDF from the Internet. 

Has to be a defect in the latest Adobe version.  Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,

ASC

• 3. Re: Can't Open PDFs Inside Firefox
              EditorASC Level 1

OK, I fixed the problem:

a)  Uninstalled Adobe Reader Ver 9.4.0

b)  Installed Adobe Reader Ver 7.0

Now it works just fine, and very fast too.  Sometimes, "progress" is not always actually progress...

Thanks,

ASC